Buying and using metal working machinery

Doodle

Registered
Registered
Don't make the mistake I did looking for that used old lathe , milling machine, or what ever. I waited and searched for years for the good deal I could afford with the idea I would learn my way into rebuilding the equipment into something useful. That's a good scheme if you want to learn how to rebuilt someone's worn out, rusted, missing pieces, used up, treasure they thought was worth more than scrap price. I've already done that with antique cars and it was fun doing it with my Dad. But I went years without the fun of making things with a good lathe or learning how to run a milling machine. With time running out for me on this planet I was fortunate to get discount coupons in the mail to the new outlet in town selling China made machines. For next to nothing I bought a little 6x11 or something sized lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chuck ready to plug in and use. I learned a lot making it into a better machine and launched myself into a 9x20 lathe. It was no prize until I learned how to stiffen the tool post, tighten up the adjustments and I have made some parts I am really proud of. I have added one of those mini mills to my shop and it is a joy to use it right out of the box.

With time running out for me on this planet I was fortunate to get discount coupons in the mail to the new outlet in town..........
We just don't know how long we have on this earth but isn't it funny that now that we are getting older we realize there's no point in waiting for something better to come or save something so it still looks or feels "new".
I find myself looking at life like enjoy what you have ,while you can, that's my motto, this way I won't have many regrets.

Sixty years ago, at evening class, I learned the basics of turning on an old belt driven lathe (6" Centre Height) I guess now my first turning examples were not wonderful, approx one year later, after the family had moved from a somewhat out of the way country town to a large industrial town, I saved up my pocket money and purchased an old beat up small lathewhich my dad & I built up using anything we could lay our hands on, The countershaft supporting "girder work" was constructed from old right angle bed frames, which we scrounged from the refuse collectors, Well we ended up with a usable small machine tool, Accuracy was obtained in many cases by the judicious application of various shims applied especially in the tailstock alignment.

Fast forward to nowadays, I am older and certainly more grey, Wiser ? Doubt it ! I am still playing with my machines , Pretty good machines, Not too modern, I frequently think back to a simple little steam engine I turned out on my first lathe, It went surprisingly well , I also think on the folks who gave me encouragement, Freely given, An old wood patternmaker, a ships engineer , an old brass moulder and last but not least a very decent old Jewish tool dealer in Glasgow , who steered me through the various essential tools I would require , Frequently stopping me from spending my money in a reckless manner and saying "Buy this tool its cheaper and will be more useful" I still treasure the tools I purchased in his little shop, In fact one day I was in his shop, no doubt wasting his time , talking hot air, When in came an old English shipyard fitter I knew , He looked at the tooldealer and said "Isaac You keep that young man right , We are expecting a lot from him, & to me he said You Listen to everything Isac says, I have frequented this shop since he was helping his father, & he could just look over the counter"

Well in these modern times, I think folks have lost the plot, I mix with folks who want to rip the metal off on super sonic machines as though there is not a tomorrow, Amongst my machine tools possibly the only really modern machine I own is my far eastern metal cutting bandsaw , A wonderfull tool, & my 3&1/2" centre lathe built in 1970, Well silly old me has decided to go back down memory lane by purchasing a small mid 1950 belt driven lathe , which I now have overhauled and I am building up , Guess I will have a go at another little steam engine shortly, The old boys in the western worlds industries made us great by frequently using machines which were less than perfect,

Doodle you have got the right approach to craftsmanship, you have graduated up from something beat up to your nice new machine which I think you really love, and I feel your skill base has grown, The other guys who have subscibed to this post all have given very wise council , on this journey through life.

I make most of my money these days restoring fine old American Iron with my Chinese machines. People pay good money for my work, but never ask what I want for my Asian machines. Good Asian machines turn out good work and are very cost-effective. But they can be a ***** to get parts for in a pinch.
Randy

Back