buying er32 collets

Yup, a collet that matches the size of the tool shank will give you the best accuracy. The flat you're referring to is called a Weldon flat and the collet will hold the tool accurately despite it being there.

Just to be clear, an ER collet will collapse by about 0.040". This is quite a range but the more you deviate from the uncompressed size of the collet, the less accurate the collet becomes. On the lathe for work holding, this is no big deal. On the mill, it is a very big deal.

Mikey, do you think a rego-fix ERC32 nut will work with the Beall? I ask because there are new ones on Ebay for $16 plus $7.50 to ship. I realize that they are made for the coolant version but maybe that has no impact on their use with the Beall.

Mikey, do you think a rego-fix ERC32 nut will work with the Beall? I ask because there are new ones on Ebay for $16 plus $7.50 to ship. I realize that they are made for the coolant version but maybe that has no impact on their use with the Beall.

Mine is a Hi-Q/ERC 32 Rego-Fix nut that fits the Beall chuck just fine. Not sure how the coolant version differs but for that price, I would try it.

Edit: I just looked for a Techniks ER32 set on ebay and it appears their sets are now in 32nd inch increments. The best price I saw was this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Techniks-E...533592&hash=item1c739c5d8f:g:FxkAAOSwA3dYEKrl

I know this is two to three times the cost of a Chinese set. If I didn't really know how good Techniks collets were I wouldn't recommend them, especially when I am possibly influencing you to spend several hundred dollars. Then again, look at the cost for a full set of Lyndex, ETM or Rego-Fix collets and it kind of puts things in perspective. We are just hobby guys so do as you think best.

Edit again: I looked up the nut I have and it is intended for use with coolant and it works fine with my Beall chuck. For the price you cited on ebay, I would go for it and see.

Last edited:
Mikey, your nut is excagtly the same as the one I just paid $16.50 for, Yippee.

Mikey, your nut is excagtly the same as the one I just paid $16.50 for, Yippee.

Punk! I paid more than twice that price. I wish that nut fit my Tormach ER32 chuck. I'm stuck with the stock nut and while it works, I would much rather have a good nut.

I forgot to tell you that when using the Beall chuck on your Sherline lathe, you can use any nut you like but the Beall nut is smooth on the outside and will not catch a knuckle if you brush up against it when using a graver up close to the chuck. Most other nuts will bite you if you get that close.

J Ferguson,

Good question! I'm also looking for an MT3 ER32 collet set. Banggood has a metric set from 3mm to 20mm with the chuck for $126. The runout isn't specified. Here's the link: Banggood MT3 ER32 Collet set

Does anyone have any experience with Banggood?

Glen Zoerner
Spicewood, TX

someone asked banggood what the spec was. the answer was .015mm which is about 6 tenths - not all that great

The Hi-Q/ERC 32 Rego-Fix nut arrived. It is very nice. Mikey it looks like the face of the collet will be recessed maybe 3/32 from the face of the nut. Is yours like this?

My other collet nuts all show the collet face very slightly below the face of the nut or flush.

I'm assuming that when properly inserted and the nut tightened up to spec it doesn't make any difference because if holding a tool, one would never be cutting up to the face of the nut.

The Hi-Q/ERC 32 Rego-Fix nut arrived. It is very nice. Mikey it looks like the face of the collet will be recessed maybe 3/32 from the face of the nut. Is yours like this?

My other collet nuts all show the collet face very slightly below the face of the nut or flush.

I'm assuming that when properly inserted and the nut tightened up to spec it doesn't make any difference because if holding a tool, one would never be cutting up to the face of the nut.

Yeah, mine is a bit recessed but it works fine that way. As you say, you won't be getting anywhere near the nut in use. When the nut is loosened, it clearly pops the work loose. I have a really nice ETM nut, too, but the Rego-Fix is a cut above.

You are probably well aware of this, but with ER collets you always need to snap them into the nut retaining ring first, lightly thread it on your ER holder and then insert your end mill or stock and tighten. Otherwise the ER collets do not seat properly. FYI, I use bearing nuts which do make a notable difference over the stock ER nuts, but Techniks ER32/40 PowerCOAT Collet Slot Nuts claims that they are suppose to be a significant improvement over other ER nuts.

PowerCOAT ER Collet Nuts.PNG

Hi MkSJ,
Yup, I do know how to install a collet in a nut.

The coating is an interesting idea. One could spray teflon on nut threads and because they would then be slipperier tightening it to a particular torque limit would result in greater force pushing down on the neck of the collet. On the other hand, there might be a higher risk of the nut coming loose in use. ???

Back