Buying mill and lathe one by one or together?

umnik

Registered
Registered
I am considering to buy mill and lathe for myself (currently researching for what models). I am thinking to buy milling machine first and lathe later. I see a lot of people buys lathe + mill together. Any special reasoning for that? I understand if some pro does that setting up his/he shop. But for hobby persons?
I thought that I buy mill first, clean it, mount on stand and set it up and get familiar with it. Once it is done and everything settled I can get lathe and do the same with it.

Welcome to the forum. I purchased in table top Mill first and used it to get familiar with basic metal work. Then purchased a larger lathe that is probably more than enough for my lifetime, then came back and replace the little table top mill with a larger Mill that also should last my remaining lifetime. All this over about 1-2 years. It really comes down to your finances, space and what you want to make.

What came first , the chicken or the egg ? The answer here is buy what you need/want in your price range . :)

Finding a deal on a good machine is hard enough, trying to find a good deal on 2 good machines as a package is extremely hard to do.

If you have a current use for one or the other then that is the one you should concentrate on first.

If you are looking to just getting started making chips then get whichever you find a good deal on first. and pick up the other when that deal shows up. You will learn a lot from either machine that will help you in getting the next machine.

With a lot of us it depends on what we can find at the right time and price. I looked for over two years and found both a lathe and mill from the same seller. They were both in good condition and at the right price. Have been happy with both. Some one was selling out an estate and wanted the machines gone.

Exactly what are you looking for ? What size etc .

As for buying new VS used, that is big issue for me.

New one is presto, just call Matt and get whatever your mind set on. Done. You know in advance what you will get, can read full specs of the machines and place you order. Only thing is waiting a little bit if machine is back ordered. May be you will get not best per your buck, but it is all predictable.

As for used one. Only real thing I see is Craigslist. But in vicinity where I live I do not see much stuff popped up frequently, and even if there is something it is in condition you do not want buy at stupidly high price. I do not know any used machinery dealers in my area and do not know how to hunt for auction at which people buy at. Sure, I want heavier better build old american machinery, but it is pretty difficult to find a good deal.

You're in Md and can't find equipment ? You're looking in the wrong places . :grin: This stuff falls in my lap everyday .

Exactly what are you looking for ? What size etc .
mmcmdl,
Now I thinking about PM-929M-PDF and PM-1236 from Matt.
Do not mind old used machinery, but it depends on if I can find good one. Sure I can do little bit of TLC but not in the mood to spend half or year restoring bit up machine. I prefer to make something else.

Back