Buying my first mill

OkcGunsammo

Registered
Registered
Hi I just bought my first lathe and year ago and now want a mill. I only buy vintage machines because I have a thing for older stuff. I found a millwaukee model k for a good priced and alot of tools. Can anyone give me a idea is this a good make/model and what I need to look for when go look at it?

Boy I do agree the vintage machines do have an appeal to them that the new ones do not. I cant answer your question but will post this so it goes back to the top. Oh and welcome aboard!

That's at least a 6000 lb machine. Check all power feeds, in both directions, as well as the rapid. That machine has at least a 7.5 HP motor. Should have 50 taper spindle. Good solid machines, some of the best made American iron of all time. Parts may be difficult to find if needed. If there is anything that doesn't work, I would pass. Universal or plain?

Jason

Does it have the arbor support? What about horizontal arbors? Does it have a vertical head? I got an H last year, I like it, but it's limited.

IMG_20161029_191204548_HDR.jpg

Jason

Jason is correct. Those are fine machines. Also, as Jason said, if they have issues, they will not be trivial to repair. New parts are not available, few people know how they really work, and you will largely be on your own when dealing with any problems. The upside is that they are solidly built for long service and will continue to do good work if not abused.

The guy told me it doesn't have any problems and that it is still a tight

Since this would be my first mill is there any tooling that is a must have for this machine?

Back