Buying my first mill

Price depends on location, but $1500 isn't bad. Now that I see that it's a vertical, it's probably well over 8000 lbs. I would think that machine is really not a great choice for a first machine, however, it will handle just about anything.

For tooling, a face mill, plus end mill holders of various sizes., Should cover most everything.

Jason

The guy told me it doesn't have any problems and that it is still a tight
Do you have good reasons to trust his statements? Trust, but verify... That machine is worth about $50-60 a ton as scrap metal, minus transportation costs. I would find someone, perhaps on this forum, who is familiar with the machine and nearby to look at it with you. If the machine cannot be run under power through all the speeds and feeds, the sale price should plummet toward the scrap metal price.

Also consider your ability to power it up and run it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

You haven't given us any idea of what type of machining you plan to do, so it's a little difficult to say whether or not that is a good machine FOR YOU. If it's in good condition, it's a fantastic piece of machinery, but it was built for pretty heavy work. If you intend to do work like most hobbyists tend to do (fairly small light projects), that machine will be pretty cumbersome to use and some of the tooling will likely be pricey. You also need to consider transportation costs and your available space and power.
Just my two cents.

Ted

I would never buy a machine like that because its so heavy a bridgeport style knee mill is about the limit for a home machinist. If it doesnt have the vertical head its gonna be pretty useless. You will have to have some serious moving equipment to get it to your house. The 50 taper collets are going to be super expensive as well.

I would never buy a machine like that because its so heavy a bridgeport style knee mill is about the limit for a home machinist. If it doesnt have the vertical head its gonna be pretty useless. You will have to have some serious moving equipment to get it to your house. The 50 taper collets are going to be super expensive as well.
Did you see the photos above? It is a vertical mill, not a horizontal. The rest of your comment is correct, except where you said "If it doesnt have the vertical head its gonna be pretty useless." Lots of really good work is done on horizontal mills, and they are more versatile than you might imagine...

I'm not up to speed on Milwaukee mills, the few I've been around, the model K is more or less a No. 4 mill in size. I've ran a No. 5 K & T/Milwaukee mill back in my younger days, this one is almost the same size. That's a big mill in comparison to a BP mill! Ken

Thanks I have a 3 phase power in my shop. I have a lawn company and I do everything with my equipment in house to keep over head down. I want a mill big enough to handle resurfacing engine heads for my race buddies for some extra cash during the winter.

I can handle transporting with my truck and trailer. But the last thing I want is to pay $1500 for a 7000lb paper weight. The guy said it is hooked up ready to cut.

Do you know how to run it and check all the speeds and feeds, and check for wear in the sliding surfaces, the lead screws. and the spindle? If not, bring somebody who is on your side, is familiar with those machines, and knows how to check them out. Do a couple cuts with it. Pay him for his time if necessary...

Back