BXA on a 12x36 Craftsman commercial?

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would like some feed back from someone who has used a BXA on the 12X36
Thanks, Dave

My opinion is that the BXA is overkill for the 12x36. I had a 12x36 and replaced the stock lantern-style tool post with an AXA and it fit nicely and worked beautifully. The tool holders are slightly cheaper too.

Stu

There are or have been two or three people on this forum who had put a BXA onto an Atlas 10" or 12" (bed length doesn't enter into it). And a similar number on the Atlas/Craftsman Group on Yahoo. But as I've written two or three times before, the list of people who have put a BXA QCTP onto an Atlas seems to fall into two groups - those who've done it and say they regret it, and those who've done it and won't admit that they wish that they hadn't. :eek:

I owned one, studied putting a QCTP on it and planned on an AXA.

I elected to sell it and go a different route so I did not get around to the upgrade. In my view the lantern toolpost was a pain.

I also have an atlas 12x36, and purchased an AXA holder. I did a ton of research into if I should get the BXA, I liked the idea of more capacity, but really, the 1/2" capacity has been more than enough. And getting in tight areas has still been difficult compared to using my rocker post, I can only see a BXA being even worse, the AXA is also right about in the center of its adjustment with a 1/2" tool on this lathe. I don't have any regrets going AXA. Nor do I have any 3/4" tooling to put in a BXA. 1/2"HSS bits work great, as does my 7/pc indexable 1/2" tooling I picked up from grizzly. Hope this helps, just a little advice from someone that was in your same position.

3/4" tooling in a BXA would likely be way too high.

The decision depends on new AXA or very slightly used BXA at half the price of AXA.
Dave

With the BXA 5/8 tooling would out and 1" and larger boring bars would be above center. 1/2" tooling would be bottom out on the compound. In the end it is up to you.

Back