BXA or CXA, Clausing Colchester 15 1971 Vintage

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello all,
I am hoping someone who has this lathe can answer my question.
I just bought it and I need to add some tool holders.
Based on forum threads, it can go either way.
QCTP holders were not around in 1971, so the manual is no good.
Thank you.
Jeff

I don't have the lathe in question, but it isn't necessary since you do. All that really matters is the height from the base of the QCTP to the center of the chuck. So measure from the cross slide surface that the QCTP will rest on & compare that dimension to the holder height for your tools. I am not happy with the way QCTP manufacturers list the range of compatibility by swing size. The number needed is swing over cross slide.

The vertical distance from the center of the spindle to the top of the compound rest is what is important, and it is different from lathe to lathe, even with the same swing. As Brockwood said, then check how typical sized tools in the holder will work, with clearance remaining for higher and lower settings. You do not want to run out of adjustment before you get the tool cutting edge on center. Totally ignore any guidance from the seller about what size swing lathe their tooling will fit. That has nothing to do with the reality stated above, and it can get you something that does not fit the lathe or your use of it.

BA is too small ! Maybe good for 13s but we use CXAs in at work . CXA or CA for the 15s . I've always run CXAs on 15s because that's what I have a lot of . CAs will work great also on that 15 as it is what we use at work . I ran DAs on the 17s .

I can attest to that lathes power . It will make Frito type chips with absolutely no issues at all . Like I said in a previous post , that would be my lathe of choice . :encourage:

Last edited:
The lathe came with 3 holders. I'm not familiar with the brand. Based on the size of the QCTP, I would say it's a BXA. No markings anywhere.
I'm thinking Phase II. Aloris is just too darn much money.
I bought a new Phase II for my last lathe and loved it.
Thanks guys, I'll check the height.

Last edited:
http://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/index.html#page/3
Everything you need to know about Aloris (and Aloris style) tool post sizes. Their recommendations are on page 29, but make sure to look at the pages with the actual dimensions of the products and determine which one is correct for YOUR lathe and for the work YOU will be doing. Any recommendations you get at the linked site (or from this site) are worth exactly what you have paid for them. Do your homework and make educated choices -- IMO.

The center height (top of the compound to the lathe center) is , 1 7/8.
According to Aloris, I need a CXA.
Based on the measurements I took of the QCTP that came with the lathe, it is a BXA. It is stamped 250-222.IMG_1733[1].JPG
Anyone ever seen these holders before? Any good?

The center height (top of the compound to the lathe center) is , 1 7/8.
According to Aloris, I need a CXA.
Based on the measurements I took of the QCTP that came with the lathe, it is a BXA. It is stamped 250-222.
Anyone ever seen these holders before? Any good?

I believe that Daryl (@Uglydog) has/had a CXA available, you might want to get in touch with him.

I downloaded the Aloris catalog. God info there.
Dorian and Aloris seem to be comparable in quality and pricing.
I may just go that route. It's only money, we can always make more :)

I have seen some poor reviews lately about Dorian products, mostly about poor finishes on the tools and then very poor support on the telephone. I have no personal experience with them. YMMV.

Back