BXA Tool Holder on AXA QCTP

Cr23484

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
My BXA tool holders, when shimmed with aluminum fits the wedge style AXA QCTP on my Logan 955, 11” swing lathe.
Is this a safe practice if they lock in nice and tight?
Thank you all in advance.
C

are your shimming the dove tail? I had about 3 AxA holders left after selling my smaller lathe and I used a carbide dovetail tool and inlarged the the dovetail to fit my BXA tool post. BUT if you are shimming the wedge to the bxa seems like the aluminum would give and loose some rigidity I could be wrong because some people are using solid aluminum tool holders. see what others think

are your shimming the dove tail? I had about 3 AxA holders left after selling my smaller lathe and I used a carbide dovetail tool and inlarged the the dovetail to fit my BXA tool post. BUT if you are shimming the wedge to the bxa seems like the aluminum would give and loose some rigidity I could be wrong because some people are using solid aluminum tool holders. see what others think
Sorry, my bad. It is a Piston style QCTP.
The shim is the size of the tool holder against the piston.
C

Safe practice? I personally wouldn't practice that. Not sure why one would even want to do this, import AXA holders are dirt cheap. There are probably reasons I can't think of right now. In a pinch I could understand but since practice was mentioned then it sounds like this is not a one time thing.

Generally people can get hurt or tool etc get damaged when you use the wrong tool for the job. I am a believer in that in most cases. But if it works for you... ;)

Safe practice? I personally wouldn't practice that. Not sure why one would even want to do this, import AXA holders are dirt cheap. There are probably reasons I can't think of right now. In a pinch I could understand but since practice was mentioned then it sounds like this is not a one time thing.

Generally people can get hurt or tool etc get damaged when you use the wrong tool for the job. I am a believer in that in most cases. But if it works for you... ;)
Thanks for the advice. I had some larger tools that did not fit in the AXA, but fit in the BXA from CDCO.
Not worth it, so I will just stick with my AXA tool holders.
Thanks again,
C

Thanks for the advice. I had some larger tools that did not fit in the AXA, but fit in the BXA from CDCO.
Not worth it, so I will just stick with my AXA tool holders.
Thanks again,
C

Ah I see. They make oversized import holders now if you don't want to mill down shanks. AXA oversized holders will fit 5/8" shanks.

Ah I see. They make oversized import holders now if you don't want to mill down shanks. AXA oversized holders will fit 5/8" shanks.

Dorian actually make them to accept a 3/4” shanked tool, the $90+ price is excessive, but they are available (I own two of them).

Over the last 10-15 years, I’ve milled out 200+ AXA blocks to accept 3/4” tools, I did them for a paper company that used AXA sized tool post to hold slitting knives, that had 19 mm shanks, on their paper machines. The knives, in the blocks were set up in a jig, then they could be changed out instantly, when dull. They never had a failure with any of the blocks, all sourced from CDCO. I also have 30+ of the blocks in the shop, holding various tools. Originally I milled the shank of 3 tools down, to fit the blocks, 2 of the tools broke and the remaining one bent. I’ll never cut a shank again, also why cut a $60+ tool, when I can cut a $10 block.

Dorian actually make them to accept a 3/4” shanked tool, the $90+ price is excessive, but they are available (I own two of them).

Yep, Dorian makes what I call extreme oversized holders, 2 sizes up instead of just one. I have a couple of them in BXA (accepts up to 1"). Doesn't mean you can always use 2 sizes up though, it depends in the size of the lathe. I'm not a fan of them.

I posted about them a while back, at the end of the following post.

Thanks for the advice Darkzero. Had no idea they make oversized tool holders.
Amazon has 102xl for $15.12 and free shipping.
Same price for 101xl, but 6.98 extra for shipping.
Do the 101xl hold a square tool more secure the the v-bottom on the 102xl tool holder?
Thanks in advance,
C

Back