BXA Tool Holder on AXA QCTP

This is my collection of tools that I use on my Grizzly. Now these are for AXA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice Darkzero. Had no idea they make oversized tool holders.
Amazon has 102xl for $15.12 and free shipping.
Same price for 101xl, but 6.98 extra for shipping.
Do the 101xl hold a square tool more secure the the v-bottom on the 102xl tool holder?
Thanks in advance,
C

Should be fine using larger tools. I would buy without the v-groove but if with the groove is cheaper......weird, they usually charge more for with the groove.

This is my collection of tools that I use on my Grizzly. Now these are for AXA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim,
Very informative video. You sure do have alot of axa toolholders and tools!
C

Should be fine using larger tools. I would buy without the v-groove but if with the groove is cheaper......weird, they usually charge more for with the groove.

Thanks darkzero,
They are both rhe same price at $15.12, but the 102 has added shipping of $6. , where the 101 has Prime free shipping.
I think I will by a couple of each.
Thanks again
C

Thanks darkzero,
They are both rhe same price at $15.12, but the 102 has added shipping of $6. , where the 101 has Prime free shipping.
I think I will by a couple of each.
Thanks again
C

I see. I personally wouldn't buy with the V groove for an oversized holder. The largest boring bar I would put in one is 1/2", don't need an oversized holder for that. Bigger than 1/2" I use dedicated boring bar holders. But that's just my preference. Some people hate using v groove holders for boring bars all together.

I see. I personally wouldn't but with the V groove for an oversized holder. The largest boring bar I would put in one is 1/2", don't need an oversized holder for that. Bigger than 1/2" I use dedicated boring bar holders. But that's just my preference. Some people hate using v groove holders for boring bars all together.
That makes alot of sense. I think I will stick to the holder without a V-groove.
Thanks again
C

Sorry, my bad. It is a Piston style QCTP.
The shim is the size of the tool holder against the piston.
C

Sounds like something I would do too although a shim in the dovetail, like a gib, would be my approach.

Ah I see. They make oversized import holders now if you don't want to mill down shanks. AXA oversized holders will fit 5/8" shanks.
As if AXA proportioned lathe has power to push 5/8" holders or HSS. Plus AXA posts are only so tall, some buyers won't be able to hit centerline.
IIRC, aluminum QC setups suitable for mini lathes, 8" or so home use-hard anodized.
Shimming with ferrous strip like strapping would be more successful. Mechanically, shimming is best in areas of largest contact.

Plus AXA posts are only so tall, some buyers won't be able to hit centerline.

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about in my post above. In my link it's BXA but same thing. Dorian holders go up 2 sizes.

Back