BXA Tool Post

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys while back I had posted a question about which tool post to buy on poor mans budget and receive lot good suggestions.So I went after Bostar,but they only sell kits.I really don’t need another parting tool nor boring nor knit long.I just want the tool post I have some bxa tool holders.Looking for suggestions along lines of Bostar,which I check into Shars they have two different BXA tool post models but couldn’t figure out what different is between two.So sent them email,I also check into CDCO but hear to many horror stories.Any ideals on who will sell just tool post at Bostar prices
Guys one more thing,I see some TP that’s says 250-222 and another 250-200 both are BXA good for 10-15 lathes

Last edited:
You might try Ebay for a used BXA tool post. It seems that they never wear out, just get dinged up.

Go to eBay:
Find the All Industrial model/part number(s) of what you want to buy, and then call All Industrial customer service on the phone and ask "What is the best total price, delivered to me including freight charges, that you can give me for 4 of p/n XXXX, 2 of p/n YYYY, and 1 of p/n ZZZZ?" When I tried it, in a couple minutes I had an incredibly good price offered to me, and they showed up the next day. They can give you a better price direct than they can from eBay, because you are bypassing eBay's fees and giving them a good bulk order with minimal work to fulfill. The same approach may also work with other vendors, but not likely with MSC, in my experience...

I have also ordered them from CDCO, and have never had a problem with CDCO, but I am always aware of the poor customer service reviews that CDCO has, which led me to calling All Industrial. Using the approach above with All Industrial gave me a much better price than CDCO, and much better peace of mind. YMMV.

Guys while back I had posted a question about which tool post to buy on poor mans budget and receive lot good suggestions.So I went after Bostar,but they only sell kits.I really don’t need another parting tool nor boring nor knit long.I just want the tool post I have some bxa tool holders.Looking for suggestions along lines of Bostar,which I check into Shars they have two different BXA tool post models but couldn’t figure out what different is between two.So sent them email,I also check into CDCO but hear to many horror stories.Any ideals on who will sell just tool post at Bostar prices
Guys one more thing,I see some TP that’s says 250-222 and another 250-200 both are BXA good for 10-15 lathes

The 202-9466 is a piston style post with a 2.500" wide base plate for the cross slide while the 202-9471 is a wedge style post with a 2.250" wide baseplate. Most people seem to prefer the wedge style post saying it's a bit more accurate. I have one of each but honestly can tell the difference as far as accuracy is concerned. Both mine are around 20 years old and work just fine.

I also had a few holders when I ordered the Bostar AXA kit. An extra boring bar holder is useful, I can leave bars loaded up. I converted one of my extra knurling holders into an indicator mount. If you don't need ANY more holders, it might make sense to shop for just a tool post. Otherwise I think the Bostar is still a very good deal (and a very good tool post).

As for plunger vs. wedge, some people have reported repeatability issues with the plunger style. There's a reason they make both, one is cheaper to make, the other is more precise. I have 2 plunger style AXA posts that are available for the price of shipping.

Can you have to many holders? It might be a good idea to look at used posts you may be able to find a high quality post for a good price.

Guys I order from All Industrials which I tried Bobs ideal but didn’t work for me.Asking for quote then ordering over phone I wouldn’t got free shipping. But I order what I wanted which was the tool post couple holders for 117.00 then order the 1XL holder that hold 3/4 shanks so I’m happy maybe not cheapest but Like Burger King I order what I wanted now maybe by end next week I’ll have it.

Guys I order from All Industrials which I tried Bobs ideal but didn’t work for me.Asking for quote then ordering over phone I wouldn’t got free shipping. But I order what I wanted which was the tool post couple holders for 117.00 then order the 1XL holder that hold 3/4 shanks so I’m happy maybe not cheapest but Like Burger King I order what I wanted now maybe by end next week I’ll have it.
When ordering online, you are talking to a computer. It will only do what it is programmed to do. When you call on the phone and talk to a real person, you have a pathway into getting what you want. Everything is potentially negotiable. You must ask. It is important that you have done your homework, know the part numbers you are interested in, and the prices, and have it all laid out in front of you in an organized manner so you can make sense to the representative you are talking to. Make it simple, be polite and friendly, and be clear that you want the best price they can offer, delivered, on specific quantities of specific part numbers. If the person you are talking to can't or won't work with you, ask politely for a supervisor. Make sure you come across as a motivated buyer at all times while you are talking, not a tire kicker. They control the prices and possibilities, but you have the cash, which they want. It often helps to rewind the conversation, saying things like "Well, if you can't do that for me, what else can you do to make this purchase worthwhile for me? I am trying to spend money at your store." If it fails, try another vendor.

If you negotiate for 5 minutes to get the price down by $30, your wages are $600 per hour for your efforts. In my world, that is worthwhile...

I also had a few holders when I ordered the Bostar AXA kit. An extra boring bar holder is useful, I can leave bars loaded up. I converted one of my extra knurling holders into an indicator mount. If you don't need ANY more holders, it might make sense to shop for just a tool post. Otherwise I think the Bostar is still a very good deal (and a very good tool post).

As for plunger vs. wedge, some people have reported repeatability issues with the plunger style. There's a reason they make both, one is cheaper to make, the other is more precise. I have 2 plunger style AXA posts that are available for the price of shipping.

I keep hearing this statement, but only as a 3rd party observation. I have yet to hear from anyone who actually had accuracy and or repeatability problems with the plunger style tool post, or seen any actual data to back it up. As mentioned in my earlier post I have and use both styles.. Both units were purchased new about 20 years ago. Each has about a dozen tool holders with dedicated tooling. On the rare occasion the tool isn't on center when installed, I've always found some swarf either on the tool holder or tool post dovetail.

I replaced my plunger tool post because of a handle issue. Went on EBay and found a wedge post and didn’t look back. However I had to reposition the handle on it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back