Cabinet for mill tooling?

Please give us a photo tour once you have it home, setup, and filled.

Cheers

Please give us a photo tour once you have it home, setup, and filled.

Cheers
I'll do my best! Spent today working on cleaning the cabinet up and rearranging the shop to get it in it's (hopefully) final resting place.

Scored this 48" x 24" x 72" cabinet on Facebook last night. Was talking with a guy about a 60 gallon fireproof cabinet and ultimately decided it was going to be a bit smaller than I was looking for and he mentioned he had this unit as well. Got it for $175. Gonna wipe out the dust and get it set up this weekend. I love the shelves in the doors, I'm going to store all my spray cans in there so I don't have to pull ones out from 3 layers back.

The shelves measure roughly .081" think and will be plenty sturdy for some mill tooling. Although I think I'll add some plywood to two of the shelves for a little extra stiffness and to keep the clanging to a minimum.
Oh man, that's a nice unit. I like the doors with shelves. Easy to put stuff that you want to see right up front. No hiding.

Scored this 48" x 24" x 72" cabinet on Facebook last night. Was talking with a guy about a 60 gallon fireproof cabinet and ultimately decided it was going to be a bit smaller than I was looking for and he mentioned he had this unit as well. Got it for $175. Gonna wipe out the dust and get it set up this weekend. I love the shelves in the doors, I'm going to store all my spray cans in there so I don't have to pull ones out from 3 layers back.

The shelves measure roughly .081" think and will be plenty sturdy for some mill tooling. Although I think I'll add some plywood to two of the shelves for a little extra stiffness and to keep the clanging to a minimum.
Glad you held out for an older sturdy unit. Don’t make ‘‘em like that anymore.

Glad you held out for an older sturdy unit. Don’t make ‘‘em like that anymore.
I'm not sure how old it actually is. It came from a 1.2 million square feet graphics plant that closed down. They still make quality cabinets, but you're probably looking at $1500 for a cabinet like this. It had some scuffs and scratches, and some idiot painted over the label tags on the shelves as opposed to just peeling them off. I spent some time with acetone and a dual action buffer to get it in better shape. I'll try and get some pics when I'm done, but I'm waiting on some color matched oil paint to dry on the touch up spots and the 2 plywood shelf reinforcements I made today.

@Lucas E - I own a couple of these (link) Lyon cabinets and store the type of items you're talking. They are fully welded 14 gauge with some bits that are 12 gauge...so that's what you'd be looking for IMO. I know they are expensive; if you hunt around you might be able to find them for a decent deal at auction.

The other ideas about welding or reinforcing lighter duty cabs are also good ideas.

One other thing you can try is used pallet rack shelving. American Material Handling has a place by me where they sell used uprights and cross-members for a reasonable (IMO) price and even the lightest duty would easily be strong enough and very versatile (make a workbench, re-configure, etc...). But if you wanted enclosed storage then these are obviously not an option.

[edit] - posted before reading past page 1. :grin: Looks like you found what you wanted - nice!

Here's a shot of it partially filled. I just sold my last rotary table and haven't decided if I'm going to buy a Vertex or Yuasa, so that will go on the second shelf once I get one. I'm also planning on building an electronic dividing head at some point, so it will house that as well. I decided to keep the lathe chucks in the lathe cabinet, but the milling attachment, steady and follow rest don't get used much so they'll stay here.

The doors work amazing for spray can storage. It's amazing to clearly see what I have and not have to pull out 5 cans to see what I have in the back. I put bungee cords across the doors to keep them from falling out when I open the cabinet.

Looks like it will mostly be a consumables cabinet, but nice to store tooling as well as it's much easier to slide it off a shelf than pick it up out if a drawer. I've got some boring head cases and measuring tools boxes that will most likely end up in this cabinet when I decide it doesn't deserve the space it takes up in the boxes near the machines.

Attachments

• PXL_20220201_231208305.jpg
    PXL_20220201_231208305.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 20
The storage in the doors helps a lot.
I repurposed a control cabinet from a CNC machine. 4x2x8, very sturdy but I had to make wooden shelves.

Back