Cad/cam For The Hobby Machinist

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had been putting this off until I had a chance to have a personal look-see but a similar topic coming up seemed to make it appropriate. I am by no means well informed about the following which is why I was procrastinating so some of what follows may be off base. Please note that I have no personal interest in the following product other than an ongoing quest for better software.

A week ago last Saturday, I was at the Tormach open house and a couple of reps from Autodesk gave a presentation about their new product, Fusion 360. Autodesk is trying very hard to become number one in the CAD/CAM arena. Fusion 360 is their bid to regain the market.

Some background: Autodesk fell behind the curve in CAD when SolidWorks aggressively pushed the 3D parametric CAD package. Since then, it has been catchup for them. A year ago or so, they issued HSM Works and the free version HSM Express, CAM applications that launched from within SolidWorks. Building on that, they began developing a stand-alone product integrating the CAD and CAM portions within a single product: Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 is a cloud based application that can run on virtually any platform. The product is a subscription, either by the month or by the year. Once you subscribe, you can open the app on any computer, smart phone, or tablet that has internet access. All of your work is stored on the cloud and can be accessed at any time. Additionally, all your work from the previous month or more can be stored on your computer to work with when you don't have internet access. Additionally, any product upgrades are seamlessly and transparently available each time you use the app.

The really great thing about this for hobbyists is their pricing schedule. This is a professional product intended for professionals but because of their aggressive marketing, it is available by the month for $40 or $300 for a year subscription. You can opt out of any month you don't want or need to use the app and resubscribe when you need it again.

Now here is the best part. You can download it free for 1 month. After the month has expired, you can continue if you are a student or, if you are an enthusiast (i.e. non-professional user), you can extend the free subscription for a year. After the year has expired the subscription rates above apply.

I currently have a personal seat of SolidWorks 2012. It cost me over $4,000. I do not pay the annual maintenance fee of $1400 so my seat is out of date with all the future versions. SolidWorks does not create backwards compatible files so I cannot receive files from anyone using a future version (I had heard that they were going to start backward compatibility with the 2013 version but that is unverified). For my CAM application, I use SprutCAM ver. 7. The upgrade fee is $300 each year so I am two versions out of date . If I don't upgrade each year, I have to buy a full seat at $1250. When I compare that against the Fusion 360 cost, it's almost a no-brainer.

I love my SolidWorks. I have been using it for eleven years and can do anything that I want or need to do. The SprutCAM is kind of kwerky but it works and I have the 2D HSM Express as well. But eventually I will have to upgrade and when I do, Fusion 360 is looking very attractive.

There is much more to this product and I would recommend that anyone interested check it out further.

Bob

Here are the web sites for Fusion 360:
fusion360.autodesk.com
cam.autodesk.com
You Tube:
Autodesk Fusion 360
Autodesk CAM

I just downloaded Fusion 360. A correction to the statement about users. It is free for students, instructors, hobbyists, enthusiasts, and startups making less than $100k/yr. ( I hope I got that right). Gotta go play now.

Bob

I'll be watching to see what people think of it and if it will be free fo hobbyists past the trial period..

Bob,
I may have missed it but, I didn't see any mention of 4th axis programing on the Fusion 360 site, did the Autodesk reps mention if this will be available?

Kevin

I'll be watching to see what people think of it and if it will be free fo hobbyists past the trial period..
That's an interesting thought. Many of the software products, CAD apps included started out free or at a very low cost to get them established and then jacked the prices way up.

The Autodesk reps told us in no uncertain terms that the intent was to keep the costs low for hobbyists, etc. Their reasoning was that their goal was to make the app the most widely used professional CAD/CAM program. If students, instructors, enthusiasts, hobbyists, and startups have easy access, it will be their program of choice. As they migrate into larger companies, they will want to continue to use it and the user base will grow. I don't know what the cost is for a professional seat but would expect it is comparable to other professional CAD and CAM packages.

The company that I used to work for had actually developed PTC Creo and sold it to PTC. It was developed as an internal product for use in our electronic instrumentation division. The other divisions used SolidWorks exclusively. Several years back, we were told the the company would no longer provide SolidWorks licenses and we would have to migrate to Creo. Our division said "no way unless you want to delay all the projects we were working on". To this day, Creo has not yet replaced SolidWorks. The point is precedent and tradition are very strong motivators. Give a kid Fusion 360 and you've got him for life.

Anyway, that is my hope. It would be a pleasant change of policy to permit occasional users to use a professional quality program at a reasonable cost.

Bob

Bob,
I may have missed it but, I didn't see any mention of 4th axis programing on the Fusion 360 site, did the Autodesk reps mention if this will be available?

Kevin
Kevin,

You are correct. They do not have 4th axis capability yet. We were told possibly later this year. One of the nice features about this program is they can make changes on the fly. There are not multiple versions of the software. Everyone is updated to the latest revision when they log in.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I have been thinking about upgrading from Sprutcam7 to 9 but think I will wait and see how people like Fusion 360 before I make a decision.

Kevin

I have it and like it. I started with the free trial (90 days or whatever it was) and the more I used it, the more I liked it. So I signed up for the pro version as a startup, so free. I have done a few modeling projects with it and have run through the CAM on a couple simple 'make believe' projects. There is still a lot to learn, but I did find that it has a post for my Ez Trak - cool!
Anyone thinking about it should sure give it a go.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAD/CAM software is a real racket, being forced to pay exorbitant yearly maintenance fees just to get the bug fixes that should be free is irritating.

Back