Cad/cam Problem

I figured out the tool size and the rest of the parameters from the G-code you posted.

Attached is G-code from your DXF and my CAM program, using a Mach3 post processor. Give it a try, but make an air cut before you try to make chips just to make sure it behaves.;)

Today was a long day. Started by upgrading D2NC to the latest version and uploading Mach 3 ver. 057 as Steve recommended. Was ready to plug my computer back into the system when my son-in-law showed up with chainsaw in hand. He's been promising for three months to help me cut down a couple of dead weeping willows on my property. Couldn't say no so we spent most of the day cutting trees and cleaning up brush. Got back to the computer late this afternoon and fired it up and got the dreaded "UC100 not found" error message. I reloaded the plugin and USB drivers and still no luck. Played around with it for about an hour and traced the problem to either a dead port in the USB hub or a bad cable. Didn't take the time to figure out the root cause but solved the problem by running a cable from the UC100 directly to my computer. Haven't had this much fun since my last root canal.

I loaded your gcode and did an "air cut". The cutter path was concentric with the bore but not with the periphery. I loaded my gcode and no change. Still cut concentric with the periphery but not with the bore. So this rules out a Mach 3 problem. I'm convinced the problem is with the way I created the CAD drawing. I started with a rectangle to create the basic shape. Then I added a circle as the basis for the bore and perimeter arc that is offset from the rectangle center point. For some reason D2NC is picking up the rectangle center for chamfering the periphery and bore but because the bore center is offset from the rectangle center it is also chamfering off center. I have a work around in mind and will test it out in the next couple of days.

Thanks to you Jim, Steve, rdean and Jay for your help. Couldn't have figured it out without you guys.

Tom S.

The cutter path was concentric with the bore but not with the periphery. I loaded my gcode and no change. Still cut concentric with the periphery but not with the bore.

The drawing shows the bore center and arc center in two different places. Are you sure the part actually matches the drawing?

The drawing shows the bore center and arc center in two different places. Are you sure the part actually matches the drawing?

I'm not sure the part matches the drawing. I need to measure the part. I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Tom S.

I'm not sure the part matches the drawing. I need to measure the part. I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Tom S.

To put closure to this dilemma this is what I found and what I surmise. My part measures up the same as my and your drawing within a few thousanths. This leads me to believe it's not a drawing issue. That doesn't mean I won't keep this in mind next time I make a drawing with more than one center point. My guess is that my CAM software got confused and generated gcode for the exterior machining based on one center point and generated another set of gcode for the bore chamfer using the other center point.

BTW - I posted a few pictures of the final product in the Pictures of Things Made in Home Shop CNC section of this forum.

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Tom S.

I have only used d2nc a few times so I'm not too familiar with the settings. Can you change the tool path entry from a ramp to a plunge and see if it changes the result? The tool path should be based off the vector. Maybe a bug in the software? Might be something to ask the developer about.

I have only used d2nc a few times so I'm not too familiar with the settings. Can you change the tool path entry from a ramp to a plunge and see if it changes the result? The tool path should be based off the vector. Maybe a bug in the software? Might be something to ask the developer about.

I tried a plunge entry and had the same result. I have to believe it's a software glitch. I'll pass it along to D2NC and see what they have to say.

Tom S.

Did you give dimensions to everything? So that the model is fully defined? Not sure it will matter.

Did you give dimensions to everything? So that the model is fully defined? Not sure it will matter.

Yes I did. Still don't know why it did what it did but using a work around I was able to finish the parts. You can see the results in "Pictures in the Home CNC Shop".

Tom S.

that is a good tip! thanks. chasing gremlins gets so old. Appreciate the 062 notice .

Not an answer to your problem but version 066 has many issues.
062 is the most recommended version and will save you some problems later.

Ray

that is a good tip! thanks. chasing gremlins gets so old. Appreciate the 062 notice .

Actually I loaded version 057 on the recommendation from jumps4. His comment was, " they were trying to fix lathe and the more they worked on lathe the worse mill got."

Tom S.

Back