CAD programs

Just loaded SW 2011 on my home machine. Graphics card is really not up to the task, which is odd, because it worked with 2007 just fine, although a little slow. Frustrating having to slow down to accomodate the computer!

I've used Alibre cad at work for jig and fixture design. It was easy to get up and running fast. Most of the mech design is done using PRO E though.

Any one have any experience with Google ShetchUp?

Tony

Tony
I've used Alibre cad at work for jig and fixture design. It was easy to get up and running fast. Most of the mech design is done using PRO E though.

Any one have any experience with Google ShetchUp?

Tony

I fiddled with sketchup a while back when home and didn't have access to the software at work (read: too busy at work to design stuff for home so had to find an alternate method). I haven't used it for a long time now but even back then (its early days) the best part about it was the library of models others had completed.
Using these for reference, ideas, layouts, scenes, etc made it useful and meant not needing to scratch draw/design all the small details.

rleete, further to my last question on '11 s/works, what are the most notable improvements?
I hear the appearance settings and surface finishes are much better now (like the realview add on option featured in earlier editions). This maybe why your graphics card is struggling?
Is it mainly a rehash of the functions locations or the way in which you accomplish a part?
There were a few improvements which could've been made to the fillet, chamfer and sheet metal functions. Have you noted any changes here?

Cheers for you time,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I also do Game Design and have used Blender for Organic Modeling. Never noticed it had a CAD/CAM addon, will have to check it out. Blender is VERY hard to pickup if you are used to the traditional CAD packages. It does not follow traditional GUI's, but once you learn its quirks, it is actually very powerful.

author=dalee link=topic=3558.msg26010#msg26010 date=1316102215
Hi,

Like many here I started back in the day with ACAD R9 and DOS. I've used quite a few different programs over the years and have tried many of the free 2D versions. I mostly look for cross-platform stuff now since I use a mix of Windows and Linux based computers. So I either use QCad/LibreCad or DraftSight for 2D shop prints.

Each has their nuances that can make you prefer one over the other. For example, the way they handle text. QCad is a bit better with text, allowing any rotation or snap point, text size, or font. DraftSight does much better with dimensioning. Otherwise usage is pretty similar, you just have become comfortable with where you find things.

I'm still in search of a 3D program that is cross platform and costs less than $10,000 for what I want it to do. ## I wish Google would do something to get SketchUp to work cross-platform. I've tried Heeks CAD/CAM, but the stability isn't always that good. I have a hard time with Blender, which while having a CAD/CAM add on, is still more a graphics program.

Best thing to do for anyone who is interested in getting into CAD is to just pick a program and use it. It's really about the best way to figure out what you like.

dalee

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn

Cool designs. How did you get up to speed with Sketch up? Just by taking the tutorials or did you get some of the books?

Tony

EdK said:
I've been using the free program Solid Edge 2D for about three years now and just love it. Back when I was looking for free 2D CAD software I tried just about every one of them that I could find. They all have steep learning curves but, in my opinion, Solid Edge 2D has a shorter learning curve then all of the other CAD programs I tried. I also have TurboCAD with the intention of learning it sometime. I would like to get into 3D CAD and TurboCAD is one of the cheapest so I bought it years ago and have been keeping it up to date.

Ed

I have to agree Ed, I found the learning curve easier with Solid Edge 2D as well.

It's hard to believe it's a free product. :)

Last edited:
blender looks pretty good, what cad addon are people using primarily?

Back