CAD PROGRAMS ?

I have a few programs, one of which is the 2006 autocad that was part of my homeschooling. Nowdays I use fusion 360 and onshape. I highly recommend either.

how do I phrase this ?

Is there a good basic for learning and practical use " CAD PROGRAM"
what are some of the ones that are being used ? Can an old dog learn this new trick ?

thanx
casca
I prefer to use AutoCAD for typical blue prints or for any 2-D drawing. I like to include 3/4 views of some parts for
those of our Brothers who do not know how to read a formal blue-print. I do this in Solidworks. If I am designing a progressive die
for example, I make the customary three views top, Front, Side in 2 D, along with a birds eye view of the die itself and I also like to
include the actual strip that comes out of of the die in 3-D, showing all piercings, the feed, bends, etc. This is a huge advantage, to the builder.
"can an old dog learn this new trick"......I am as good example of a resounding yes answer to this question as you are going to get.
I am 80 years old, I was literally weaned in a machine shop, my Dad taught me to read a micrometer when I was 9 years old, taught me to read blue prints when I was 11, do the math. I didn't get involved with computers until the year 2000. Was trained in both
AutoCAD and Solidworks at a local University. If you would like an example of what I am talking about here, email me at lotec@cox.net, I will
be happy to send you an example of my technique. I am new to this forum and do not know if it is appropriate for me to add any attachments.

GDA

Last edited:
@gda,

You may need a minimum post count in order to add attachments.
As long as you are posting examples of your own work (no copyright infringment) you should be fine.

However, using your email address in the open like you did above on _ANY_ web forum will likely create a horribly problem with spam email. I would suggest you edit your email address to convert "@" to something like "_AT_" to stop the automated harvest and abuse of your email account.

-brino

@gda,

You may need a minimum post count in order to add attachments.
As long as you are posting examples of your own work (no copyright infringment) you should be fine.

However, using your email address in the open like you did above on _ANY_ web forum will likely create a horribly problem with spam email. I would suggest you edit your email address to convert "@" to something like "_AT_" to stop the automated harvest and abuse of your email account.

-brino
Thank you for the advice regarding the email posting.

Back