Cad

For just 2D blueprints I use an older version of Cadkey that I have had for a few years. For 3D I found MasterCam works just like Cadkey for 3D and has better graphics. But I can generate a program for a cnc with MasterCam.

If you deal with just 2D drawings, I highly recommend DeltaCad. www.deltacad.com They have a 30 day free trial and to buy is something like $40. If you use a credit card or debit card, you can download it right online. I have used it for quite a few years and love it, plus it supports a lot of different extensions, both importing and saving to export. It's simple to use and very accurate. I recommend giving it a try for 2D stuff that you want to keep. You can also export it into a Cam program to use on your CNC. DeltaCad does not though have a CAM program of their own though. But you can save it as a .dxf and use in any CAM program. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I use ACAD at work and 'DoubleCad' at home. I don't have/do CNC on the machines so I don't know how it works for that but it does, or did, have a free version with most of the bells and whistles.
Works for what I use it for and drawings can be dxf(ed) out to use in ACAD. The button/icons and commands are much the same also.

I just started with FUSION 360. CAD/CAM with a slew of features that I haven't gotten into yet, but it's free. downside is it's cloud based.

not allowed to post links yet, so search for fusion 360 download...

I have used AutoSketch and AutoCAD for 2D drawings. I began using SolidWorks ten years ago. The transition from AutoCAD to SolidWorks was difficult at first. With all the drop down menus and context related menus, it is sometimes frustrating to find the proper path to perform an operation. After ten years, I have become somewhat proficient and can whip out solid models in times ranging from a few minutes to hours depending upon complexity.

There are still things that I don't know how to do or, for that matter, even know exist but I know enough to model anything I could want to make. There are some good references which help a lot. Among those is the SolidWorks Bible.

I am now working on acquiring Fusion 360 skills. I am going that route because the package is free for hobbyists and CAM software is integral with the package. I purchased a personal seat of SolidWorks in 2012 for around $4k. SolidWorks requires paying an annual maintenance fee of around$1400 if you want to keep your copy current and if you don't there is a problem with older versions being able to view newer version models and drawings. SolidWorks also does not offer a companion CAM package. AutoDesk has an add on CAM package for SolidWorks called HSM Works but the free version is limited to 2D CAM.

Fusion 360 approaches 3D modeling in a different manner and no doubt there will be many frustrating moments learning to become proficient in using it. However, since I am looking long term, it appears to me to be the best path.

Bob

Slightly OT
RE; cad programs. I have just started playing with Auto desk "Fusion 360" I discovered my think pad will not accept 64 bit version of windows 7 so a new lap top is in order. I am zeroing in on an HP " Envy" that has the 17.3 inch screen, sixth generation i7 intel 6500 CPU, 16 GB memory 1 tera byte 5400 RPM hard drive
NVidia gfx graphics w/ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory
ALL IN ALL IT EXCEEDS AUTODESK REQUIREMENTS Cost at Best Buy MSRP $999.00.... on sale for $869.00 or Open box $699.00 if and when available. I plan on buyin 3 year Premium geek Squad service plan....Just to be sure ($ 269.00 +/- includes drop or liquid damage) ESPECIALLY IF I GET AN OPEN BOX VERSION
QUESTION; what's the poop on HP reliability ? the real skinny ? Reviews are generally "good to great" a few P O'd cowboys out there but well out numbered by pretty happy campers ( my experience tells me that happy shoppers seldom take time to write while unhappy folks have nothing better to do when they have computer problems, real or perceived)
my home office has a dell precision that would run N.A.T.O.'s war computers, If asked..... while my laptop is for detailing any drawings that need tinkering at night while wife watches her evening Programs and we spend our " Quality time"
Looking for support for the cheapest " Qualified: computer for the task at hand.
Thanks

Last edited:
I learned AutoCAD back in college in '93. It was a bit on the expensive side for just my home use. But I found TurboCAD. Very similar, pretty powerful and under $100. You can export/import to about any popular cad format. I still only work 2D but there is 3D in the package. Just I don't bother with it.

I tried DoubleCad from IMSI for a free CAD Program. Like you, I used to use AutoCAD, but finally got consumed by the changes and pricyness of it. I worked with DoubleCAD and found it really lacking compared to AutoCAD, missing many of the snap and drawing features I had missed. I have thought about TurboCAD. How similar to AutoCad are its features and options?

I've been using TurboCad Deluxe for about 7 months. As a recently retired computer systems engineer, I am used to learning new software applications and evaluating software. I was a complete CAD novice when I started. By using their tutorial/training guide I was able to get a working knowledge, enough to begin the design on my current project. (See my thread "Greg's French 75 mm Field Artillery Model"). But I found the training less than satisfactory and the software difficult to use. TurboCAD Deluxe is the low-end product, several times the tutorial directed me to do something, it didn't work, and after checking the online reference manual, found the functionality in question was only in the much more expensive Platinum editions. Good news: they have pretty good customer support, helping with a problem I had when upgrading to Windows10, Bad news: you'll probably need that support, TurboCAD has a very complex user interface and mediocre documentation.
For the past 3 weeks, I've been test-driving Autodesk's Fusion 360. This seems to be an excellent product with a very good online tutorial. It is not an intro-level package, it is the full 3D CAD with more functionality than I'll need, yet their interface is much cleaner. It is supposed to be free for non-commercial users, I'll find out in a week when my trial expires.
I will probably switch over from TurboCAD as soon as I see how to make drawings from solid models.
Greg

I will probably switch over from TurboCAD as soon as I see how to make drawings from solid models.
Greg
Greg,

In Fusion, click on the file icon in the header. Select "new drawing". From the drop down menu, select "from design". From the popup menu, select your drawing standard, dimension units, and sheet size. Drop your base view at its desired position or hit the escape key to delete. In the upper left corner, in the views section, the first icon is for selecting a new base view. If selected, a menu will pop up on the right where you can select which view you want , the scale, and a few other things. You can drop the base view wherever you wish (it can be moved later). The second icon is for projected views. Clicking on that icon will allow you to create additional projected views from a chosen parent view. Depending upon which direction you move from the parent view, the correct views will be created. E.g., if the parent view is a front view and you are using third angle projection, moving to the right will create a right view, moving to the top will create a top view, and moving at a diagonal will create an isometric view. Click in each view will drop it and initiate another view. Hitting [enter] will end the process and hitting [Esc] will abort the process.

Back