Caged Roller Bearing Installer

I had a grease gun adapter, it looked like someone took a piece of tubing, flattened it, then formed it over a 1" or of rod. It was designed to slide between the axle stub, and spindle, and reach back, and grease those bearings. I lost it in one of the moves, and been looking for one ever since. I guess I ought to just make one.

My brother has a 1894 F250 4x4 diesel pickup, that he got from our dad who bought it new.
my brother is rebuilding the front end from the bearings, to tie rod ends to universal joints in the independent front end.

he needed a tool to install the front drive hub needle bearing.
the needle bearing is inside the front axle hub.

after removal of the old needle bearing, i was able to make a installation tool from 1-5/8", 7075 aluminum.

here are the pictures...

View attachment 289269
View attachment 289270
View attachment 289271

the tool woorked great and he was able to put the axle through the hub!

thanks for looking!
You can work on improvement maintenance you can try thrust bearing.

Years ago coming home from Knoxville Tenn the wife and kids said they heard a noise in the Suburban . Me being a machinist and half deaf , couldn't hear a thing . We drove it for 2 years , and they kept hearing this noise . Not me . Finally found out what the noise was when the transfer case shattered to pieces when backing out of the driveway . o_O

Dad gummit!!! Did you get hearing aids to fore go transfer case repair?
I know the feeling, work around large diesel engines doesn't help hearing either. My wife tells me of noises in our autos and I have to let them get to the breaking point before I hear anything.
Chuck

Problem solved, saved $$$, and had fun. (I think it's fun any how)
Chuck

Back