Cal-Hawk 4"x6" bandsaw help

Nice work on the print.

Just out of curiosity did you check with HF for replacement parts?

John

@matthewsx thanks, and yes. Even assuming parts for the current version would fit my antique, the selection is rather limited...

299 -  - manuals.harborfreight.com.png

Those temps sound excessively high for a short period of running, although it may just be a really inefficient unit
I wonder if there is something funny going on in the motor- like a stuck starter switch

-Mark

Those temps sound excessively high for a short period of running, although it may just be a really inefficient unit
I wonder if there is something funny going on in the motor- like a stuck starter switch

-Mark
Don't know... the motor sounds fine and runs smoothly, but was obviously designed to operate with the fan intact, so I'll finish my 3D print of the shroud and measure the temps again. If it's still an issue (i.e. it melts my 3D prints) I'll just replace the motor, but I enjoy the idea of fixing what's broke rather than just chunking it to the rubbish heap.

I hear that! Save and recycle or repurpose is my motto

I can tell you from persona experience on that saw...they list those parts but many you can't actually order......

Just an update to finish off this quest... rehab is complete. New base, 3D printed fan, shroud and chip bin (pink for my wife), new guide bearings, top-mount adjustable handle for the angle of the fixed jaw, and relocated power cord (it drove me crazy on the front of the saw). I might still do the short-stock stop bolt mod later, but she cuts like a dream, at least a $50 dream.

PXL_20211108_222549086.jpg

PXL_20211109_205147508.jpg

PXL_20211109_205205240.jpg

Back