California Fires-here we go again

Record fires everywhere. All the rain did yesterday, was clear some smoke out of the area. Had a fire here that closed I70 for a week or so. Now there is concerns of land slides, because the fires killed all the vegetation that helped keep the hills in place. I do not think that threat will go away anytime soon.

There were over 15,000 fires from lightning in August. Many of those fires grew together calling it complex fires.
The state does not have the resources to cover all the demand.
Right now in the Oroville area, the authorities are evacuating burn victims and letting many of the properties burn.
It's an unprecedented nightmare.
I think all of us assumed the Camp fire was an isolated incident with over 13,000 homes involved. This complex of fires state wide could exceed the 2018 wild fire season.
Oregon is having similar problems, Colorado, Idaho.......
That's why I'm praying for rain.

Here are some pictures from this morning in the east bay and San Francisco. This was leaving my house in Martinez on my way to the city. It was after 7:30am when normally we have sunny sky’s. I went over the Golden Gate Bridge and visibility was less than 100 feet.
5e3a301d8383e23902c49f2f4f3ddaab.jpg

03f29dd34a9fe5666d02acccec4de711.jpg

37d222b0b2ae704df236e356b3912c91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lil brother sent me this pic this morning, view from outside his home in the bay area.

View attachment 336398
That is the way the sky looks here in Sacramento as well. The pale yellow sun is difficult to find in the sky at times, and the temperature has dropped from 81 to 75, and is now back up to 79, quite low for this time of year here.

Stay safe up there Bob (and everyone else). My brother said, as gloomy it is up there from all the smoke, he doesn't smell smoke.

Last month when we had fires down here, the sky didn't get dark but the air quality was bad, from the smoke that is, here in smoggy LA we always have bad air quality.

Jeff I was thinking of you when I left the motel this morning. Not sure how much of a threat there is to Chico but with what you went through 2 years ago, I figured even if only a minor threat would still have you guys on edge. Too close for comfort.

When I left the motel this morning I double checked the time, I thought I had somehow gotten up an hour early.

I spent 2 weeks doing supply near Alturas on the July complex. I was home about a week then got called to work in Dispatch in Willows when the lightning came through and started tons of new fires. There were 37 starts just on the Mendocino National Forest where I am now working. Those are now basically one huge fire.
Between the two I've been out almost 5 weeks, feels like 5 months. The dispatch center manager says she is keeping me until Christmas. After the winds pushed all these fires yesterday I don't think the Christmas comment is that far from the truth.

I've been a firefighter since 1992, thought I'd been there done that. 2015 Middletown burned and it was shocking the speed it burned. 2017 Santa Rosa, Napa, and Redwood Valley were unprecedented. 2018 the Mendocino National Forest hosted the biggest fire in California history, then in November Paradise burned and again nothing to compare it to. Now 2020, looks like the Mendocino will break the acres in 2018 and I don't think we are the biggest of the current batch. I feel like the bald guy in The Princess Bride "Inconcevable".

Stay safe all.

Thank you Aaron, and all the others working to help save life and property this year. I heard on the way home tonight that two of the three firefighters injured when they had to deploy shelters were released from the hospital today and the third will be soon.

We have a strange combination of fog with smoke above it that made it pretty much like twilight or night for most of the day. It's supposed to burn off tomorrow and the smoke will be back.

Yes, everyone stay safe and anyone who's having a hard time with memories or anxiety should get help. It's okay to reach out.

John

I have two friends (dozer operators and/or transport drivers, private, not Forest Service) that have been sent to your support.
Considering where these resources are based, this speaks volumes to the seriousness of your situation.

You have my prayers and best wishes.

Just heard back from my best friend since 7th grade. He’s lived outside of North Fork for 25yrs surrounded by the national forest. They were evac’d yesterday and have been transferred to motels by the Red Cross down to Madera along with Bass Lake and Corsegold. They are usually the ones who stay but all his hard core friends said this ones the worst and to get out. They don’t expect containment till the end of October and are expecting to evac all the towns East of hwy41. 365 homes already lost and completely out of control. Heartbreaking.

Be safe all! @Aaron_W thank you for your help!

Back