California Fires-here we go again

a homeless guy, probably insane (mentally ill), sets fires in downtown Novato, so not the cause of the devastating fires. Maybe he was a terrorist, I don't know. Yes, lock him up, and others who are intentionally setting fires.

The Marin fire, and most of the other fires in NorCal, stem from lightning strikes in mid August. Can't speak to whats causing fires up north.

One of the SoCal fires was apparently from fireworks at a 'gender reveal' party; https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/09/09/gender-reveal-parties

Hate to be them when they get the bill for firefighting costs.

When you are evacuated you can't get back in until they allow you back in.
The Camp fire was a really bad fire. It destroyed a town of over 25,000 people.
We weren't allowed to go back to our property for over a month. many people didn't find out about the status of their property for weeks.
In our case, my son's girlfriend's brother worked for the utility company. he drove by the house and confirmed it was gone.
This was three days after the fire. The insurance company will not issue any funds until they have proof of a loss. In our case, our insurance company sent us $5,000 for immediate incidentals since we were displaced. Not all companies did this.
UPS and USPS sat on a lot of packages shipped to addresses that no longer existed.
The local communities absorbed the town of Paradise residents.
I think many people resented us transients because the traffic was bad, restaurants, drug stores, retail shops were busy = long lines etc.
Health services were over loaded as all those facilities in paradise were gone.
I do go on don't I?

We have pretty much dodged the bullet in the immediate area, but not out of the woods for a few more days, rain is expected on Monday. The winds were crazy, out of the East Mon, Tue, and Wed, calm today. The good news is that the high winds took down a tree that knocked out a main power feeder line without causing a fire. Power was out for about 25 hours during the worst of the winds. This may have actually prevented additional fires by knocking out power to a wide area. Forecast is for winds out of the SW with much higher humidity. Hopefully this will give the fire crews to get a fire break established between the fire and the populated areas north of the fire. The fire is mostly burning in unpopulated national forest areas, but north and west of the current fire line is heavily populated. South of the map, in Marion County is also heavily populated and a couple of small towns are just gone.

Here is the Clackamas County evacuation map. I live about 5 miles north of the red (mandatory evacuation area), center map near the north edge of the map. The main fire front is about 20 air miles south of me. The dark red dots on the map show the extent of the active fire area.

1599761189257.png

How many homes in Medford were lost? Have they made any announcements yet?
It's great you are OK

Here is the best guess at this point.

Updated Sep 09, 9:31 PM; Posted Sep 09, 10:05 AM
'' Thousands have been told to evacuate in southern Oregon as strong winds fed the Almeda fire. The blaze has leveled hundreds of homes and wiped out businesses in a region that’s home to more than 80,000 people. ''

Here is the Clackamas County evacuation map. I live about 5 miles north of the red (mandatory evacuation area), center map near the north edge of the map. The main fire front is about 20 air miles south of me. The dark red dots on the map show the extent of the active fire area.

And Stu (@gr8legs ) is right there to the west in Siverton.....

Be safe all!

-brino

Wow, we had just gone through Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, traveling north to get away from the smoke here in the central valley. I wouldn’t have thought it would be a candidate for devastating fire, give terrain and vegetation. I guess just about anyplace is susceptible.

My Daughter and family were evacuated but they are alright, don't know if they have been
given the OK to return yet.
She said it was too damn close and I fully agree, hope they catch the responsible bastards and shoot them on site !!!

I hope all are well and safe. I also hope they catch and prosecute anyone who may have been involved in the starting of these fires.

While people do accidentally and even intentionally set fires mostly this is a
natural process.

Devastating yes, but part of the reason they are so hard to fight is because its really hard to get to where they start.

John

Back