California Members - Check In!

I heard the Big Basin redwoods are burning- some of those are centuries old. Does anyone know if redwood trees can survive a fire?
-Mark

Wouldn't you know it...I moved back to Paradise six weeks ago after bouncing around from place to place, moved into a condo, just got the garage redone to house my lathe and a Bridgeport and other tools and now this.....Very smoky here and alot of ash fall, but no fires are an immediate threat.
We'll see how it all shakes out, but my desire to come home is being sorely tested.

Home is safe for now, none of the fires are closer than 50 miles. I'm not home but my wife says it isn't even that smokey right now. The wind is pushing the smoke east.

I heard the Big Basin redwoods are burning- some of those are centuries old. Does anyone know if redwood trees can survive a fire?
-Mark

Redwoods are very tolerant of fire, but the current burning conditions are extreme.

-Mark
Yes, it's actually part of their natural life-cycle. Some will inevitably be lost but if you hike in the area you will see much evidence of past fires. The biggest problem is lots of the area is developed with housing so natural fires haven't been allowed to burn in the past 50 years.

It's gonna be ugly and many people will probably loose their homes, will take some time to recover too.

John

It will be two years come November 8th since we got erased and we're just now getting back to almost normal.Where I'm living you cannot tell the fire ever happened, but walk out onto the road and it's the moon.Very strange.I would guess it will be twenty years before we see anything like what was here before the Camp Fire....And the Town is making it as hard and costly to rebuild as they possibly can.

Not just California, we have two big fires right now, one has had I70 closed down for about a week now, with no easy detour. The other, just north of us is in a sparsely populated area, but the smoke and ash is still un nerving. We are safe here, but it does give us a feeling of what you in California are going through. Prayers for everybody in the west.

IMG_0712.jpg

My kids live in Centennial, we spent the first year after the fire living in their basement! It's beautiful place and the people we met were great, just could not take the cold or we would probably have stayed on and found a house.Kiowa out east of Parker is really nice! Good luck, it's been a crazy year for all of us.

Haven't even seen that western Colorado was having fires. Didn't even pop up in my news feed, and I have an 'alert' set because the in-laws are in Colorado Springs.
Not just California, we have two big fires right now, one has had I70 closed down for about a week now, with no easy detour. The other, just north of us is in a sparsely populated area, but the smoke and ash is still un nerving. We are safe here, but it does give us a feeling of what you in California are going through. Prayers for everybody in the west.

View attachment 334443

Haven't even seen that western Colorado was having fires. Didn't even pop up in my news feed, and I have an 'alert' set because the in-laws are in Colorado Springs.

Yeah it is kind of crazy, they brought me in Sunday to work dispatch on the Mendocino National Forest due to many lightning fires. The forest has more than 30 fire burning for a total of 160,000 acres and except for the local station we barely make the news. Crazy year.

There is lots of mountains between here, and the springs. It has been interesting that this has not made much news. The fire by Glenwood springs, that has I70 shut down, was the highest priority fire in the country, until Ca flared up so much. The one here, I think now has grown to the second largest in Co's history. They both are in areas with steep terrain, limiting them to mostly man power, and aerial tankers & choppers. Luckily this side of Colorado is not populated much outside the few big cities, so only a few families have to be evacuated. Grand junction is a high plains desert, so between those flames, there is several miles of rock & dirt.

Crazy year.
In every which direction. Do not say it cannot get worse, 2020 will prove you wrong.

Back