• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Caliper Z-Axis DRO for Millrite

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wildo

It took me a couple days to get this done, and rather uncharacteristically I took almost no photos of the guts of the project. I picked up a 4" digital caliper from Harbor Freight and converted it to use as a DRO on the Z axis on my Millrite. The project really turned out well and I think this will be a much needed addition.

To borrow a photo from Mike Amick's webpage, I modified the quill feed connector nut by removing the needle and grinding down that nub that the needle fits into. There was a grub screw that held the needle in place. All of this was ground away.

The resulting flat area was drilled and threaded 6-32 and I machined a piece of aluminum roughly this shape to bolt onto the connector nut.

The machine was reassembled (actually- I had to take it apart multiple times to adjust and tweak the fit) and the caliper was screwed to the newly machined piece. I did modify the caliper by grinding off the unneeded jaws. I drilled the two screw holes using a carbide end mill which made quick work of it.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and especially with how well it works. Here is a video I shot for some friends on Facebook, but I'll share here too. Check it out here:

scoopydo

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice job! I wish I could do that with mine but it has a power down feed and I just can't see any way to make it work?

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Nice! I would try to fasten the bottom of the caliper somehow. Even a blob of J-B weld with a nut imbedded in it would
give you a second point to hold the bottom of the non moving part of the caliper. Nice mill! I especially like the crank part,
good and heavy and signature of a quality built machine.

[6]
[5] [7]