Calipers for Scribing Lines..Good or Bad?

Consider a caliper a disposable item (except vernier) . Dials get out of whack, wear, jaws wear, electronics become dated and start failing..
Use it, replace when necesary.

I scribe with my calipers. Why waste time and lose precision in the process?

I only know , that measuring calipers are precision instruments not scribing tools. Always carried a scriber , hermaphrodite caliper and scale in my pocket . Everyday I worked those three items and a 0-1 Mic. we're with me in my apron..Oops forgot one my automatic center punch. I don't know when machinist became hammer men but when I pay two hundred bucks for an instrument I'm not going to abuse it. I don't even do it with my old Poland vernier. Squares rules and height gauges are made for it . Surface gauges have been around forever also.

Heck yeah, I use an old pair of HF calipers with Dykem blue for light scribing layout. It's pretty hard to dull the tips in aluminum or brass which are the primary metals I use. Like was said earlier, HF's are basically through-aways. I buy a new pair when I get a coupon or they go on sale. The old ones can be cut off and used for a tail stock, Z Axis or cross slide DRO.

I have used my calipers for years to scribe lines never noticed any wear the part you scribe with the very tip is not used with most measuring. as far as that goes maybe you shouldn't slide them in and out ( that causes wear) yes I'm snide and nasty. the machinist that taught me this trick ( I questioned him about your same concern) told me that they are hardened stainless steel and it wont hurt them. yes it is not for precision layout but for rough layout it works fine I guess rubbing then on your part to find center and get an accurate measurement would be out also sorry bill

I tend to use a combo square for that sort of thing, but you're right: there is no point in worrying about a HF caliper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a digital caliper purchased from the supermarket. that I have cropped the end of the outer anvil so it can be used as a odd leg caliper If the point ever wears I will simply sharpen it by stoning back the outer edge as this has no effect on it's ability to measure.
This is one of my Go to tools for setting up and often used to confirm that my digital readouts have got me in the right place.
Perhaps I just don't do work that requires the fantastically high standards of measurement that others appear to need.
P1013272.JPG
Brian.

Perhaps I just don't do work that requires the fantastically high standards of measurement that others appear to need.
Agreed. If you need those high standards you should find a different tool than a digital caliper...

calipers are only good for plus or minus .001" this has been repeated on this website many times. if that is all you have then do your best cheap mics and snap gauges are better and not that expensive like all hobbies (shooting golf kayaking tennis radio controlled toys ) it all cost money. bill

I know there's people out there who can machine down to a scribed line with great accuracy, I'm probably not one of those guys & I have never tried. I use scribed lines mostly for visual reference so an "inaccurate" scribed line with a caliper is more than good enough for me.

Back