Cam-lock Tail Stock Conversion

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I wanted to upgrade my G0602 tail stock and so here's what I ended up doing. I started with a whim that maybe the Little Machine Shop kit may work. The lifting block and clamp work fine but the shaft & handle were too short, so I made a new one. I made a shaft extension that I bored and brazed the LMS kit shaft into it. Then I turned a new handle to match the Grizzly knobs and handles.

IMAG0502.jpg IMAG0503.jpg IMAG0507.jpg IMAG0525.jpg IMAG0536.jpg IMAG0538.jpg IMAG0540.jpg

Slick that's what I need to make for my mini-lathe!

Todd

• :whiteflag:

Here is what I did for a "Cam lock." Works great, less than quarter turn of the nut locks it or unlocks. Like always having the wrench on.

photo-4.jpg

First made the threaded nut and put it on before marking the exact perfect spot to drill and tap the hole for the handle.

Handle rod made from a 6 inch stainless bolt with the head cut off and that end also threaded.

photo-3.jpg

Function is exactly like the cam lock and this method works easier since the handle is right there and you don't need to reach up and behind to lock.

photo-4.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-3.jpg

I like this. It is so simple I can't believe I couldn't figure that out. I want to do this to my south bend. It takes way less than a quarter turn to lock, but the darn wrench keeps falling off now and then. This will stop that.

Thanks for posting it,

Mark

Great idea the threaded rod, on my Lathemaster I did something similar, first I installed a spring between the tail stock and the locking clamp, then cut down a inexpensive socket and welded a bolt to it that I put a knurled handle on. Mine is more 1/2 turn but works quite well.

So, Mr Fab, you purchased Little Machine shops kit and just made some mods to it? I really could use this mod and have played with it with a few different parts, space is so tight on the G0602 tail stock, you really must do it from backside as you did.

I took the top nut and lever from the original indexing tool post and made a lever lock for the tailstock. Just drilled out the nut and re-threaded it to M12 x 1.75. Works great. 1/4 turn is all that’s needed to set or loosen the TS. I planned to use washers of different thicknesses to position the lever, but didn‘t have to. It was perfectly positioned. Sure, id like to have a nice cam lock, but now I really don’t need it. And the lever is on the front for easy access.

Thanx to Cadillac STS for the idea!

Attachments

• 7928E958-5745-4380-9758-318768D84CC4.jpeg
    7928E958-5745-4380-9758-318768D84CC4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Back