Cam-lock Tail Stock Conversion

So to clarify, you took the original Grizzly tool post, tapped and threaded to match the tail stock's stud and you're good to go? I'd be plenty happy with that! I'll have to give that a shot tonight.

So to clarify, you took the original Grizzly tool post, tapped and threaded to match the tail stock's stud and you're good to go? I'd be plenty happy with that! I'll have to give that a shot tonight.

That’s it! I never used the included tool post. Went right to a QCTP. I used the original T nut for the QCTP. Just drilled and tapped it for the QCTP shaft. Kept me from having to mill another one. So I have the old tool post In the junk drawer. The cap nut and lever made my tail stock lock as in the picture above. Simple to drill and re-tap to the correct size. I think it was M12 x 1.75. And it looks nicer than anything I could have made.

I did something kinda similar, but a bit more crude, with my 9x20. Found a combination wrench that fit, cut off the open end, and used a wooden wedge (held in place with a magnet) to retain the wrench. Pretty easy to "clock" the wrench (or re-clock it if there's wear) - just pull out the wedge, reposition, return the wedge.
kHPIM2930.jpg

kHPIM2931.jpg

It was used as a "trailer hitch," to allow using the carriage to drive the tailstock for deep drilling. The photos show a #10 screw. I later changed to a ¼" screw with a Dremel ground partial undercut on the side of the the shank - to form a small "hook" that would more positively stay inside the T-slot of the slide.
kHPIM2579.jpg

kHPIM2581.jpg

Fabrickator, -

This is a great subject and you did a really neat job.
I did the same for my 1963 10" SB and it is one of the best and useful mods made to my lathe, right up there with the DRO.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8790.jpeg
    IMG_8790.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Yeah...I have the old tool post cap/handle. Just gotta drill and tap it. It's a shallow blind hole, seems like you'd need a flat/non tapered tap to do this @Rellortnoc ? I feel like I'd bottom out and only thread about half the cap?

So I went ahead and drilled/tapped old tool post, shortened the bolt a couple threads that runs through the locking plate. I got it to a point where in the most commonly used area along ways, it locks and unlocks. One interesting thing, and I don't know if anyone has this issue, it wont tighten enough to lock the TS at the first 5 or so inches to the right side of ways. Anyone else run into this?

One interesting thing, and I don't know if anyone has this issue, it wont tighten enough to lock the TS at the first 5 or so inches to the right side of ways. Anyone else run into this?
Yes I have. Others have also reported the same observation. My cam lock is set to work best in the area where it is most frequently used. However, when the TS is parked at the extreme tail end of the ways the cam goes over center. The cam could be adjusted to work everywhere but I prefer to have the cam at around 11 o'clock when it is working.

Back