Cameron Drill Press - This Week's Find

AR1911

Active User
Registered
A friend tipped me off to this little DP on CraigsList. Horrible ad, no indication of actual size, but a little online searching told me this was a desirable item. The neighborhood it was in was less so, dirt street, junk-strewn yard. But the deal was done for $75 and I escaped.
These Cameron 164 drill presses are made in USA. They even make their own motors. In fact, I think the only thing they buy out is the Jacobs chuck. Their primary market is jewelers and clock/watch makers. It has 3 speeds - 7500, 15000, and 30,000 RPM! Too fast for anything I do, so I'll try a router speed controller on it.
I spent a leisurely Afternoon disassembling it, cleaning, polishing etc. Turned out real nice. Still needs one feed spoke and a new belt, but otherwise it's in excellent shape.

Note: OAL Height to the top of the depth stop nut is 14"

DSC_0001.JPG

Nice find :congrats: I have one And if you have been on there site you know what they go for.:you suck: Oh and mine was free but it wasn't running. New brushes and clean the commutator and it runs fine now.

LOL Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I got it home and saw what they go for. I was tempted to flip it but it's just so cute, and well made. Right now it's on my desk.

I would wonder about the item from your description. Did the person have other tools around that would make this item fit in to their collection? If hate to think I gave someone money that has just ripped someone else off.

With that kind of speed, has me thinking maybe someway to convert it for tool grinding and use the table for homemade adjustable holding fixtures? Nice score by the way. Mike

I would wonder about the item from your description. Did the person have other tools around that would make this item fit in to their collection? If hate to think I gave someone money that has just ripped someone else off.

He had nothing else around anything like this, certainly no collection- I asked in hopes of finding more to buy. The only other tools he had were hand tools and a cordless drill. All else was just miscellaneous household junk. There was no shop or even a garage, just an old frame house, And the guy wasn't that old, maybe 30. The drill press was dirty and rusted. I think he was surprised I was willing to pay his price.

It has a #0 chuck with 1/8" max capacity. The speeds are in line for the small bits. This is for jewelers. they also sale an x-y table and very small mill bits for it. That said I use a foredom foot pedal speed control on mine.

I hope the owner doesn't see your post & come wanting his tool back. Lol

Back