Camjack Knurler

No Sir I haven't. Truth be known I haven't had a need to knurl anything since, but the tool is there, the math is there and I am sure this will meet my knurling needs.

I speculate on pure conjecture that to do good straight knurls one would require knurls of the right pitch for the diameter of the work or vice versa. However to straight knurl to increase the diameter of a shaft to turn down to a bearing size would be simple. This tool would work well.

Steve

I haven't tried straight knurls either. Some day, I'll order a set and try them out.

I haven't tried straight knurls either. Some day, I'll order a set and try them out.

The Accu-Track website at http://accu-trak.com/holders_bump.html shows the following diagram, which says to use a single knurl die instead of a pair, when straight-knurling. Seems to me you could either not worry about it (ie go ahead and use two straight knurl dies in the scissors knurling holder) or use a plain (smooth) roller on one side. Or perhaps somehow synchronize the dies. Has anyone tried the holder for straight knurling?OR%20%28SELF%20CENTERING%29c_small.jpg

OR%20%28SELF%20CENTERING%29c_small.jpg

I've done a couple of straight knurls using two knurl wheels. It's worked fine the handful of times that I've done it, but I've only ever tried it in brass. I don't really do much knurling, so it could be just dumb luck!

Most recently did these 1/2" diameter nuts for my new knurler (no, not a camjack--sorry!).

IMG_4879_zpseb456833.jpg

Jim

IMG_4879_zpseb456833.jpg

IMG_4879_zpseb456833.jpg

IMG_4879_zpseb456833.jpg

Most recently did these 1/2" diameter nuts [using 2 straight knurl wheels] for my new knurler (no, not a camjack--sorry!).
Jim

It looks like they turned out fine. BTW, did you invent that method of locking the axle pins in place, or was it on a set of plans? I assume the aluminum or steel bar stays down and in place during operation even if the brass nut loosens up. Have you noticed any other pros or cons to that pin-locking method?

It looks like they turned out fine.

Yeah, I don't know as they'd look any better any other way.

BTW, did you invent that method of locking the axle pins in place, or was it on a set of plans?

Well, I'm not exactly sure! I know someone else had the idea of cutting the gash in the pin and tightening a small flat to hold it in place. I don't know as that person had an angle on the end, but it seemed like a good way to do it so that the flat would be easy to hold in place while tightening the knurl-nut.

I looked at a lot of knurlers before I made mine. I like to give credit where it is due, but I just can't remember where I saw it now.

I assume the aluminum or steel bar stays down and in place during operation even if the brass nut loosens up. Have you noticed any other pros or cons to that pin-locking method?

I haven't really used it much yet--just finished it a few weeks ago. The bars don't really seem inclined to move. It seems like a relatively simple, trouble-free way to hold the pins in place.

Jim

I've done a couple of straight knurls using two knurl wheels. It's worked fine the handful of times that I've done it, but I've only ever tried it in brass. [...]
Jim

I see that the question of straight knurling with a scissors clamp has come up before, in a August 2011 knurling thread, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/2637-Knurling-thread-by-George-Wilson?highlight=knurl. Some people tried using hard-rubber wheels in one side of the clamp. But at the end of the thread, George Wilson points out:
I cannot recommend trying to use any kind of rubber wheel in knurling. You really need 2 matching knurls in a scissor type knurling tool,or just run the 1 wheel against your metal-which is the best option unless you have a real small lathe [...]

I use straight knurls for my QCTP height adjusters to lock the stop and nut together lock-nut fashion. That way I don't have to reach for a wrench to do it. Coarse knurls in steel work best for me. I am making the Camjack to get the leverage I need for coarse knurls in steel. Will post results when finished.

jayman

Back