Camp Fire is out-13,900 homes-540 businesses

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
It’s been over two weeks since the fire. My wife and I went to the old Sears building to expedite some documents.
Represented were the DMV, Social Security, County Records like Birth Certificates and Deeds and plenty of Government assistance for those that qualify.
Mingling in the crowd, we saw people we knew, plenty of strangers, children and the elderly.
Even though we all lost our homes, our living conditions vary substantially. Some are living with friends or relatives, some found a rental and the local motels are booked solid.
How long would you live in a two bedroom apartment with ten people?
The Paradise Fire of 2018 is unprecedented.
We get emails everyday of homes just listed by our Realtor. $469,000 for a 1,100 square foot home built in 1924 was the most appealing.
We won’t be participating in that one.
Today we go look for a car for my wife. Hers was in the garage of our destroyed home.
We have been *****y to each other, it’s common among couples and family to fight over the smallest things.
Glenda, my wife said yesterday, “OK, the vacation is over, I want to go home now”
I have begun purchasing some tools which I usually really enjoy. It’s more of a chore now.
It will be interesting to see, a year from now, how many of the 51,000 displaced people decide to ride it out and try to rebuild, how many leave the area for good, how many buy or rent within a 25 mile radius etc.
Right now people are just waiting, waiting to go back to see what’s left. The fire is officially out but they have not let us back yet.
Home Depot has pallets of masks for sale, shovels and rakes, they are giving away sifter boxes for going through the ashes.
You guys are my friends, I hope you don’t mind me sharing my thoughts and experiences.
Stay tuned, Insurance checks are here. There are many different policies and companies that represent them.
Fortunately we have plenty of experienced families that give advice on how to deal with your insurance company.
Look at your policy, you should have dwelling a, dwelling b, content coverage, displacement expenses, etc.
Do you have enough to rebuild with new codes and fees?
Thanks for listening.
Jeff and Glenda

Jeff have you guys considered moving? Oregon maybe? I did some looking last year and there were some decent properties with houses and cabins
mark

It’s been over two weeks since the fire.

You guys are my friends, I hope you don’t mind me sharing my thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for listening.
Jeff and Glenda

Jeff, please keep us in the loop and nobody minds listening to a fellow members trials and tribulations. Many people here are ready to help when the timing is right for you and Glenda.

Thank you Vermont CNC.
Oregon? We love Oregon.
My boys are here and my Grandchildren.
I still work also.
In three years I retire.
A lot can happen in three years.

Back to work today.
My wife and I have Horace Mann Insurance.
The first day back for one of my employees since the fire. I asked him. how is it going with your insurance?
He said, they won't even talk to me until an appraiser can get up to my home. (Geico)
We have received policy limits checks for content and dwelling. I hope it is enough!!
Other insureds are fighting tooth and nail.
State Farm is one of the better ones.
Farmers and Traveler's are putting on the gloves and getting ready to fight.

Amazing isn't it. They never fight when you are giving them a check.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Here are some reminders for EVERYONE!
1. Check what your insurance covers. I know my homeowners covers replacement value of the house but I have no idea about contents, so I need to call.
2. I also need to go through the house and video everything and keep it on the cloud. How many of us would remember or be able to document everything we own?
3. Make sure that all of your life insurance and retirement accounts have the correct beneficiaries. You would be surprised how many people still have an ex-spouse listed.
4. Update wills, power of attorney and medical directives.

I hope this helps someone.

Great comments Disco Dan.
It seems some insurance companies will make you prove your assets. A video would be a great idea. Remember to keep the video somewhere other than in the house or the garage-maybe a cloud storage option?
Interestingly enough, the following Monday after the fire, we had an appointment to freshen up my parent's trust. Mom moved from AZ. She wanted to make sure it was valid in CA.
The Lawyer's office was destroyed in the fire also. One of 590 businesses that were wiped out. Some lost their jobs and home.

Back