Can a single phase motor be wired to run in reverse

First of all, wire colors are meaningless except for electrical codes which specify specific colors for residential wiring. Wires are colored just for identification purposes. The electricity itself doesn't care, if that's what you were asking
Secondly, the switch you show in post 20 is a different animal. It uses contact pairs, which means jumper wires need to be added
in order to be useful for motor reversing. I would say also those import switches probably won't last as long as the Furnas style units, but they are cheaper.
Third, you won't need a neutral for this, only the two hots and ground. You only need neutral for 120 volt circuits.
I can do a sketch for using the baomain switch- I shall return

Last edited:
This should work: Use crimp lugs if possible for the connections- neater and more secure
As before, swap motor wires 2 and 4 if required to match rotation with switch handle
Notice: For those following this, the motor being discussed has main winding A (wires 1,2) with swapped polarity compared to the usual practice.
Most motors would be wired as using 1,4 and 6 (2,3 and 5 tied together) in the representation below and all the previous diagrams for this thread.
That is all
Edit: update diagram 3/27/23 cleaner version
-M
Bao240vTHz.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the help. It got the wiring done last night and the spindle is spinning with out letting any smoke out.

A quick photo of the control box I ended up building to house the controls and the soon to be wired tachometer. To answer the potential questions, I have one 220 circuit in my garage. I have an extension cord that I have to hot swap depending on the machine I am using. The power light is just another way to know that the machine is powered up (plugged in).
IMG_0522.jpeg

I just want to add, If a motor is not UL listed for reverse run and you modify the motor, if there is a fire and the insurance company finds out you modified it, well you know what will happen.

Back