can anyone help me identify this Atlas and year it was made? 12x48

Likely needed to get further with a short tool or a different person reinstalling the slide with out knowing how it came off?

Yes, you're correct. The cross slide is on backwards. In a couple of the photos, you can see the hole for the screw that retains the chip guard and see enough of the rest of the machine to establish how the photo was taken.

The headstock looks a little like the “unit plan” or utility lathe headstock. They had a flat front face, but no switch plate or switch. There are drawings at lathes.uk

Yes, and the early tailstock looked more like the one on the bed, and the serial number is 4-digit and has a "D" prefix. But none of the 10" either early, mid or late ever had the tumbler detent quadrant in the casting. All of the early and late 12" did. GunMonkey still hasn't answered my questions from several days ago. So I'm waiting for those.

Last edited:
Still waiting. The more that I look at the photos, the more I want to say that the tailstock and headstock are Craftsman 12" without the forked piece of flat bar resting place for the belt tension rod.

Dear Gunmonkey,

Come back and tell us what’s happening with your lathe. Sincerely,

Jwmay

Back