Can anyone help with information on this tool?

Thanks Bi11 but there is a third type of knurling tool and that is what I have here. A "cut knurling" tool that apparently cuts rather than deforms. It is supposed u to require less pressure and also doesn't increase the diameter.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Thanks I I had already sent an email to the Hollerman-Keller guys and seeing if I get anything - but also hoping I may stick luck here too. I know for sure it is a cut knurling tool but I am not 100% sure exactly how it is used. The knurling posts are free to be rotated and they each have an indicator pointing towards that scale in the middle. I assume this may be bar diameter but I am really not sure.
Yes, the scale is for diameter. I assume there is a knob on top we cant see, or a diameter setting screw which adjusts the distance between the wheels for the diameter corresponding to the scale. the other 2 knobs allow equal placement of the knurl wheels on the work piece, so they both contact the work piece equally, at the same time. There is probably a center locating hole, indentation, on the side opposite the wheels. You place a center in the tailstock and set the center height of the tool with the tailstock center.

Attachments

• Cut_Knurling_Tools_RF2_RW_240_241_251_OV.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Although I find that claim plausable, to an extent, there is a point that doesn't make sense. I don't have the proper physics background to express my point, so a short history lesson if I may. . .

I am not a machinist, I am a model builder who occasionally works with metal stock. I had used a UniMat (DB-200) for years before desiring to cut threads. A UniMat will cut threads, sort of, but it is done with a follower on a form, not really a satisfactory way to do things for the pitches I wanted. Actually, I had wanted to cut threads for a long time but the attachments for a UniMat were beyond my means, until. . .

In the early '90s, funds allowing (good job, reasonably secure) I acquired a small (9X19) lathe that could cut threads. At that time I took an interest in knurling. My early attempts at such were to cut a very light 16 TPI (1.5 mm pitch) thread, running first forward(right hand) and then cutting a left hand thread. At that point, I discovered there was no way for the low end machine to cut left hand threads. No way to reverse the lead screw. . . Following the "invention" of a reverse tumbler, I was able to do so but the results were not really satisfactory. In fact, the results were downright disgusting. At that point, I seriously investigated a knurling tool, ending up with a scissors type because of the light size of my machine.

With all that said, the configuration of the displayed tool doesn't fit my sensabilities. To "cut" a knurl would equate to a multipass threading operation operation, requiring a traverse in both right hand and left hand directions. I can see where the knurling "teeth" could cut a multi-pass groove(light thread), in one direction. But to cut in the reverse direction, reversing the leadscrew would be necessary. In essence, making two passes to get the desired form.

The above is not a very clear description of what I see in my mind's eye. For this, I apologize. . . Basically, cutting a knurl doesn't seem possible without that reverse pass. I can see where the tool would cut the desired form, but it would be one sided without that reverse pass. That is why I stand my ground to it being a modification of the pressure type tool, with displacement but not much pressure on the spindle.

Sorry Bill Cut knurling tools exist. They look very similar to the above picture - I just cannot verify that *this particular one* is a cut knurler.

I have used a cut knurling tool in a friend's shop. I cannot afford the 3K$ price tag for one.

Hi wonder if anyone can help me? Today at a pawn broker I saw a cut knurl tool. It had not price so I asked the shop keep who said he was not sure as it was on his "old system" he eventually just said I could take it for the equivalent of about $20. I think I got a great score here but not really sure. Also I am totally unsure n how it actually gets used.

Can some help identify this tool? It has "Zeus 210" engraved on it so it looks like it is from Germany. Ideally looking for information on how exactly it is used? ie in what orientation I mount it on the lathe and how it is setup for different bar diameters?
20220603-205233.jpg

20220603-205306.jpg

20220603-205317.jpg
1654391474436.png

I have a Quick "cut" knurler, and its similar in operation to the OP's. And it does indeed cut. There are YouTube videos on cut knurling.
One has to use/experience it.. But it does work great when set up and used properly. You don't have to use a formula to determine work piece diameter based on knurl wheel size, you "dial-in" the work piece diameter, and set depth for full depth, one pass
.. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/quick-knurling-tools-miller-pdf.2155/version/2155/download

Last edited:
thanks. I thought "Quick" might have been a trade name - oops. I downloaded the instructions and now know which one it is. gad, are they pricey!

I actually owned 2 of them, one I picked up at a garage sale quite cheap. It was unused.. I sold that one. I forget what I paid for them, but it was hundreds$. I think I bought my current one on ebay.. They can be pricey.. But I was fortunate.

Back