Can Anyone Id This Lathe?

Guys, thanks for the input, and keep it coming. I agree, it does NOT look abused. However, the pictures are poor, and are from the seller. It was his brother-in-law's lathe, and his sister wants it out of the basement. That is the seller's advertised price, not one that I set. If the old girl is even prettier in person, I will buy it. When I get it home, the disassemble, clean, and re-assemble, then calibrate/adjust process begins. This country made it through WWI and WWII using these, and I expect that if this hasn't been abused, it will be a good "big job" lathe for my purposes. I like doing things "the old way" and with older machinery, so this might fit right in! Lastly, as an added bonus, I have that disease where I love to take old things and make them work again. THEN USE THEM! LOL. We will see what the on-site visit discovers.

I can't make it to see this until the weekend, but the seller sent me another picture:
412904754.jpg

Maker confirmed. Now, to determine the model and size. It is 9' overall length, but the seller was not able to get the throw size yet or the distance between centers. The weekend will be here soon, and I will get to see it. Next question I'll have to figure out is, how much does the old girl weigh. I have 2 different trainlers, and would prefer to take the smaller one. I can put 2000 lbs in my truck, and 2000lbs on the small trailer. That would mean a partial disassembly. If I take the big trailer, I can haul 8000 on it, but it is a pain to move it around in small spaces. I'll have to see what the seller's location and building size is. I have a 9000lb winch, so worst case, I'll just skid it up the ramps on plywood, and onto the deck of the trailer. All of this predicated on it not being a worn out pile of junk...........:sherlock:

Well, I bought it. 16" swing, 6' bed, 34.5" between centers, 1 5/6" through hole. 18 spindle speeds possible Looks like it weighs in around 2000 lbs. not counting the gear box and motor. Motor is a 1 HP Century, 110/220 single phase, and a monster.

Here is what I think it is (top picture):

412918193.jpg

With regard to access for your trailer ... if you have the street address Google Earth is your friend... the last one like that I saw moved was an old Sheldon that was even bigger. I think the guys handled it with a forklift. Good luck!

I'd be nervous about breaking the legs off trying to drag it along the floor with a winch. Take along a couple of lengths of some 1" pipe. Put under the plywood and push it along with one hand. Amazing how easy it is to move stuff with pipe rollers.

Alternately, you could lag the feet to a couple of timbers and sledge it onto a trailer.
-James Huston

Good suggestions guys. I pick it up tomorrow. Seller has a front end loader he thinks has enough ummmph to lift it. No problem getting the trailer to where we are going to load. I am going to removed the motor, transmission (convert flat belt to v-belt), and the tail stock. Should be able to pick the old girl up and set her right in. If not, plan B is the plywood skids. i'll post pics if I can tomorrow of before, during and after shots.

I agree with Bob Korves above. I ran a turret lathe occasionally when I was in college and the motor and transmission was on top of the machine, just as in your picture. Old line shaft arrangement. There would be no reason that you couldn't improvise a "V" pulley drive output directly to the spindle from the transmission, unless you want to keep it in its current state.

Good luck, looks like a fun project!

Gary Morsch

One here in the Denver area just like the one you are looking at for $1495. $400 is a steal get it quickly.

Back