Can Anyone Id This Lathe?

That really is a good price for a machine of that size; even a worn out lathe can do acceptable work, provided it doesn't have a lot of broken components.
-James Huston

Well, it looks like it could definitely do with a bath...
It looks very sound in the pictures. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
-James Huston

Well, the old girl is dirty, however, the old grease and oil seem to have helped keep her in reasonable "non-rusted" shape. She was stored in a heated building. The ways look really good from a "ding" perspective. Not sure how much wear is in them yet, but time will tell. Overall, she seems to be in very good condition for the age. Story from the seller is that his dad bought this out of a mill in the Youngstown OH valley that closed down in the 1920's. It has been in the family ever since he brought it home. Very little use by the family. My plan is to disassemble, clean, coat with Penetrol, and keep the current finish/patina. The only defect I have found so far, is a crack in the cross piece on the tailstock end legs. Easy repair with a bolted support plate, or I may even braze it. Either way, I am really excited to start cleaning her up and see what she can do. She came with a 1 HP single phase, dual voltage motor. I have a 3 HP single phase, dual voltage motor of the same vintage I think I am going to use on it. It just seems to me that a 1 HP motor is a wee bit underpowered for an 18" lathe. Question will be if a 3" leather or composite flat belt will take 3 HP. It should, but it is too early in the game to worry about that.

You might be able to sell the original motor to defray the cost of the lathe; Century repulsion induction motors have a following.
-James Huston

.......snip.......... It just seems to me that a 1 HP motor is a wee bit underpowered for an 18" lathe. Question will be if a 3" leather or composite flat belt will take 3 HP. It should, but it is too early in the game to worry about that.
Should be plenty of power for what you want to do. I've seen many old machines running on 1 to 3 HP motors with a 3" to 4" wide belts. Generally, some kind of double vee belt drive to the tranny or Driv-All transmission. Then 3 to 4" wide flat belt from the tranny to the step cone on the machine. Generally set up to drive the largest OD step on the cone pulley is what I've seen over the years.

On a 18" size lathe of that age, 3 HP is on the low side. 5 HP would be desired but not a deal breaker! Ken

Edit: Just notice in some of the earlier pictures, that is a five step cone sheave. Wow! Most old cone head lathes only had three or four steps on the cone pulley. Looks like on yours the belt ran on the second step from the biggest OD step.

Nice find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any idea where the serial number is on this old girl? I just disassembled the tailstock. the base of the tailstock, and the body of the tail stock are both stamped with the number 8. Now, I have a few older machines where the serial numbers were stamped on multiple parts. If that is the case, and that number I found is truly a serial number, then that would make this old girl #8 of overall production. I am doubtful that is the case, but if it is truly the serial number, then this old girl is truly an "old girl"........according to the servial number list I was able to fin, 1900 started at serial #1736 (or, maybe ended there). I will wait for someone more knowledgeable than myself to weigh in on the thoughts here.......I am tinkering right now trying to figure out all the levers. I have most of the figured out so far, but not all.

Lodge & Shipley started serial numbers around 1000-1500 from what I recall from one of the historians out there. The serial number is generally stamped between the vee and other vee on the rear side of the bed on the tailstock end of the bed. The number 8 was probably used to keep track of a series of matched parts in production so they would not get mixed up. The serial number was the last thing added to the completed machine before it left the building. Later in life, L & S would stamp serial numbers on finished beds during production assembly, and the major components got the same s/n stamped on them. Ken

Well, some good news and some bad news. Good news is the apron is in good shape, just needs a thorough cleaning. Good news is, the major drive train seems to be in good shape. threading quick change gearbox is in working order and good shape. Drive gears from the spindle down to the threading gearbox, not so much. The top gear has about 8 teeth missing in various locations. Obviously, someone jammed the thing into reverse feed without letting the spindle come to a complete stop or crashed the power feed on the apron. I will now be on a quest to find a replacement gear, or open up my wallet to have one made. I don't have the tooling to cut spur gears, so this will be "find a part" or have someone make it. However, that seems to be the only issues I have uncovered so far. The entire gear train shows good, honest wear (except for the noted abuse), but it is far from totally worn out. I'll try to post some pics of the gears tomorrow.

I've had good luck getting gears through Martin gear.
-James Huston

Back