can anyone identify this model?

ahh so your saying the nylon inserts don't last too long? I totally agree that slotted heads are the most irritating...they're basically technology that is long gone in my books... I would probably prefer allen or torx.. don't know what Bristol is? and a jam nut...

RA,

Nylok nuts can usually be reused two or three times unless they are being subjected to unusual environments, like inside a high pressure pipeline. Nylok and nylon patch screws are basically good for one installation. They only have at most around 20 to 40% of the amount of nylon in contact that a nut has. Jam nuts are less convenient but if you don't lose them or throw them away, should last the life of the machine.

Bristol is similar to Allen but with splines similar to torx. The difference is that the splines on Bristol sockets and drivers have parallel sides whereas on Torx they are narrow "V" shaped. They date back at least to before WW-II and were commonly used in place of Slot or Allen on most US military radios. Like Torx, they are much less susceptable to rounding out the socket and rounding off the driver than are Allen. But not too easy to find today.

A jam nut is a nut whose most common purpose is to lock a screw in place rather than to carry a load. They are typically about 1/3 to 1/2 of the height of a standard hex nut.

the local hardware stores have slowly disappeared leaving the big box stores which only carry course threaded bolts in half inch denominations and nails ;p I guess i'll have to figure out the length I need so I don't have too much length hanging out past the jam nut and look into that McMaster car thing. be nice to know what the stock size was if it did in fact come with locking nuts... since I don't have the tools for Bristol I wont even look that direction! torx or allen would be my best option

Back in the day a company made an RC Heli called a Cricket.

Was not a great one but all hardware was metric.

Reason stated in the manual was that the threads were somewhat finer than that of SAE and with the Allen screws the strength was better and better choices of lengths.

We have made a tool or 2 and found metric Allens seem to have better options as the commonly stocked choices usually are not good where the metric ones seem to be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

its an old American made lathe the threaded holes for the gibs are definatly not metric ;p

I had a better look there 1/4 28 as someone had mentioned above that they might be... the McMaster carr link only goes up to 3/4 in length on those screws I would need a good inch or a touch more to have room for a lock nut... any other ideas?

today I got back to the half nuts I mentioned were slipping a week or so ago took them out and gave them a good cleaning... not the easiest to see by pictures but there is prbly less then a 1/16th of thread in them... I imagine there original equipment..i seen them on the logan site and also some on ebay but not so sure about those ones.. also seen a guy make them on youtube but he had a mill and a lot more knowledge then I do.. heres the pics... what are my options? oh and someone had asked a bit earlier if they close all the way as you can see in the first pic there not supposed to close all the way as they would be egg shaped there meant to stay open a good 1/8 to 1/4 just how they were designed..

20170717_142136.jpg

20170717_142240.jpg

20170717_142305.jpg

So I went out and measured my set screws and they are 1/4-28 x 1". McMaster Carr has some brass tipped that should work:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91381a359
thanks for going to the trouble...so with 1"screws you have enough extra room for a lock nut? I wonder why they don't make them longer then 3/4 in the normal plain steel ones... I can see this lathe being an expensive project by the ttime im finished :(

If you need the belt laced , I have to lacers in my shop and fair quantity of laces and pins . I can do up to 6" easily 10" with both set up. I'm offering the lacing free but a couple bucks for the metal laces . If you were close I'd say come on over and show you how .

1"screws you have enough extra room for a lock nut?
Yes at least on mine. You can find longer set screws but not in dog point that I could find (well except Fastenal but they wanted over $2 each!)
Another option would be to either turn down the end of some standard set screws or drill out the end and insert some brass pins.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/24936

If you need the belt laced , I have to lacers in my shop and fair quantity of laces and pins . I can do up to 6" easily 10" with both set up. I'm offering the lacing free but a couple bucks for the metal laces . If you were close I'd say come on over and show you how .[/QUOTE
I really appreciate the offer but ive got one in the works already and I'm a long way from jersey!!!

Back