can anyone identify this model?

well the tailstock is painted and back together using the parts I had for now... it works fine most of the issues are cosmetic. and I will deal with them in the long run. a new day is a new issue though im finding my head stock pulley is spinning on the spindle and it doesn't matter how tight I put that set screw (part 193 in the pic) I cant get it to stop spinning when under load. hoping someone can give me a pic of the proper set screw? im thinking the one pictured is probly wrong? I don't remember there being a detent in the spindle for a screw to grab? but its been awhile since I had it out.

20171129_132113.jpg

20171129_132151.jpg

20171129_191442.jpg

I'm not that familiar with Logans but if you had an Atlas I'd say that you are about to severely hurt something. Judging from the section view drawing that you attached, my guess is that you have the direct drive pin (245) pulled out (disengaged). If I'm not misreading the drawing, you pull that pin out prior to engaging Back Gear, because the pulley must turn much faster than the bull gear with the back gears engaged. In direct drive the pulley and bull gear turn at the same speed, with the pin engaged and the back gears disengaged. With both engaged, of course the spindle is locked.

Call and ask Logan...

Last edited:
OK. Then it's the same as on the Atlas machines.

Rambin, that's your problem. Push the direct drive pin in (you have to rotate the pulley to align the hole or holes in the pulley with the pin in the bull gear).

I know about the pin on the bull gear and when I pull it out to release the bull gear from the cone pulley is when im having this issue... if you look at the picture the set screw is there to hold the cone pulley on the spindle....its not holding soon as I load the assembly (a tool bit touching workpiece) the spindle slips from the pulley... im sure this set screw is there to lock the cone pulley to the spindle. there is another set screw on the next bigger pulley step to add lubrication but this one is there to lock it..check out the parts diagram ive posted

You have to engage the back gears with the pin pulled out. In back gear the power flow goes like this:

Belt pulley to small gear at back end of belt pulleys
Small gear to Large gear on back gear shaft.
Small gear on back gear shaft to Bull gear.
Bull gear to spindle through key.

In High gear the power flow is:

Belt pulley through slideable pin to Bull gear
Bull gear to spindle through key.

your right... I was looking at it totally wrong...I think im ok now.... thought I was going to have too pull that spindle out again.. wasn't a fun project last time! I do have to do it eventually so I can paint the gearbox but hopin to hold off till spring

Again, when you pull out the direct drive pin, the pulley MUST rotate freely. You then engage the back gears. That is its function.

I've no real idea what the purpose of the screw in the smaller pulley is but locking the pulley to the spindle is definitely not one of them.

ya I got it now just got a lil confusered there for a bit....

wondering if I could get someone with the same lathe to take that set screw out of the headstock pulley (shown in pics above) and take a picture of it...my pulley has a little bit of side to side play which makes a noise when the lathe is running... thinking if that screw touched the spindle as it should that wouldn't happen.... thinking someone has put the wrong screw in there at somepoint. I can move the pulley side to side by hand...took a video of it but not sure I can post videos on here?...few seconds of video is like 60mb so im sure that wont work

Back