Can copper and aluminum play nice?

Within the next month, I am planning to build a version of the hoglet, as shown in the picture. The plans call for a 4" bronze flywheel. I am very fortunate to have a large local supplier of metal drops and cut-offs. However, they didn't have any bronze. Without thinking I bought copper. questions: are copper and brass similar in weight? Will I need to worry about corrosion of the aluminum at the copper joint?

View attachment 235265
Are there plans out there for this engine. That’s is awesome:encourage:

The copper will be susceptible to galvanic corrosion if any moisture gets to the interface. The water will act as the electrolyte, but the process can be prevented/reduced as stated.

I have found automotive clear coat to work well at preventing oxidation and fingerprint stains on all metals. It is more durable than clear lacquer. I have used it on antique iron doorknobs and they show no sign of wear after fifteen years.

I have found automotive clear coat to work well at preventing oxidation and fingerprint stains on all metals. It is more durable than clear lacquer. I have used it on antique iron doorknobs and they show no sign of wear after fifteen years.

I Agree. I would personally choose a solvent based clear coat over water based if i had the option but If I had Options, Especially for a project like this motor, I would go for a Clear Powder Coat as my Protective layer after Highly Polishing what I wanted to stand out which will give me the most durable Clear coating that will last many many years!

Back