Can I handle a 3 phase machine?

I'm a bit farther around. Some call it Western Branch. I call it the Great Dismal Swamp.

As Bob said, full sized mills and lift gates are not a good combination. Mills are very top heavy, and right at or above the weight capacity. I moved mine (2500#) with a low trailer and 2ton Harbor Freight engine crane.

Lift gates suck for lifting milling machines. They are slippery, often not level, and there is nothing to keep the mill from sliding off onto the ground. You can also get badly hurt. I recommend a low trailer, preferably a drop deck (drop bed) trailer. All you need beyond the trailer and something to tow it with is a come along, some 3/4"pipe sections for rollers, a few short 2x4's and 4x4's, a pry bar, and some good ratchet tie down straps for securing the mill for the road.
Bob is spot on, I moved my mill with a lift gate truck, the gate was rated at 3,800 lb. and the mill weighs around 2,500 lb. So I thought it would be okay, Not so... It was very dicy getting it down (it was loaded with a forklift) I had to roll the mill on pipes to get it onto the lift gate at which point the gate sagged and the mill wanted to roll off the back of the truck, fortunately I had a line attached to the mill and was able to stop it. I would consider alternate means of transport.

I spoke to a tech at Automation Direct before buying my VFD from them. He said if the VFD is rated for single phase input you don't need to derate it.
As a side note he also clarified whether you can have switching between the VFD and the motor. (everything I've read said NO). Im using a two speed motor. As long as the output from the VFD is off, (as in stop bottom pressed) I can use the switch to change windings without powering down the input to the VFD.

Greg

I'm a bit farther around. Some call it Western Branch. I call it the Great Dismal Swamp.
As Bob said, full sized mills and lift gates are not a good combination. Mills are very top heavy, and right at or above the weight capacity. I moved mine (2500#) with a low trailer and 2ton Harbor Freight engine crane.

Thanks Bob and Randy and all the info there as well- I work over in the Suffolk side of W Branch off 17- beautiful area (mostly)...

I spoke to a tech at Automation Direct before buying my VFD from them. He said if the VFD is rated for single phase input you don't need to derate it. As a side note he also clarified whether you can have switching between the VFD and the motor. (everything I've read said NO). Im using a two speed motor. As long as the output from the VFD is off, (as in stop bottom pressed) I can use the switch to change windings without powering down the input to the VFD. Greg

Goood to know Greg- assuming I get this thing I will probably have a few threads to read and jump into about these VFDs-

OK so UPDATE- I did NOT get the machine... nothing wrong with it, even know the fellow who bought it... its a great machine. Had a few things crash that ate the cashflow for it... Oh well.

For those who chimed in- THANK YOU! I am now wiser and more educated on the what and whys... and think a Teco VFD is the way I will head should I meet this opportunity again!

I spoke to a tech at Automation Direct before buying my VFD from them. He said if the VFD is rated for single phase input you don't need to derate it.
As a side note he also clarified whether you can have switching between the VFD and the motor. (everything I've read said NO). Im using a two speed motor. As long as the output from the VFD is off, (as in stop bottom pressed) I can use the switch to change windings without powering down the input to the VFD.

Greg
Not quite.

Just because a VFD is single phase rated means nothing about derating.

ALWAYS get a copy of the manual and read it.

Most like our AB have a compatibility chart showing the assorted model numbers and their capabilities.

They often will require a larger unit for single phase input pulley due to the way the dc power supply works.

The single phase compatibility usually is just the device not alarming with only 2 lines supplying power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I have made 3 ph converters they are low cost and simple to build
See if motor is start would motor and this is even simple to install and a mill motor new around $30.00 for all parts

Dave

Back