Can I install a hour meter on my G0704 grizzle mill?

dennis98277

Active User
Registered
Hi all i just purchased a new Grizzle G0704 mill and I was wanting to see if it was posible to instal an hour meter on my mill so I can track my milling hours to keep track of how long it takes to do a project and for barring and gear issues. So I look forward to all input thanks Dennis:))

You can't just look at your watch? Seems needlessly complicated,and might cost some money,too. At least more than a Timex.

well the main reason is for bearing life. if you look at some air compressors you will have an hr meter which lets you keep track of your maintance. the same as on a generator. This way say my bearing go out i can give an estimated hour of operation to the manufactor.

Aren't they ball bearings? My Taiwan made Bridgeport type and its brother are still going strong since 1986. The head has a "total loss" oiling system,too. The oil drips down through the bearings and comes out at the bottom. I do a lot of high speed milling,too. I am likely the only one to oil the mill that was at work. It was used a lot harder than my same mill at home. I bought them new together in 1986. BUT,they ARE Taiwan,not China.

What kind of mill? Even the cheaper small mills are gonna have bearings that are gonna last for years & years. Arent you in a home shop situation? -- even if not and in a production setting, bearings are long lived if given their lubing maintenance, and in even in an active home shop, would more than likely out last you.

thanks guys i am a hobby machinest (sort of) so i am new to all of this so i dont mean to ask any stupid questions. i just know from being a compressor mechanic that hour meters are a good tool to have and can answer a lot of questions when it comes to warrenty issues.

There are no stupid questions. If you want an hour meter get one. Good luck.

I don't see why not, the only problem might be finding a good location. I have attached a photo of the hour meter I installed for my air compressor I like to keep up with oil changes and service). This one is remoted from the compressor, where it is wired to the load side of the pressure switch, and placed just under the power switch for the compressor (dedicated circuit).

This is the meter I use, and am happy with.

Dale

IMG_0002.JPG

Back