Can I just buy a T-Slot Compound for my Lathe?

confab

Registered
Registered
Hi. I just bought a 12X36 Asian lathe. It's a Harbor Freight, but the same design was marketed under the Enco, Grizzly, Brimingham, brands and some others.

The compound is missing and all I want is a replacement for the stock T-Slot type that came with it.. And I can't find one?

I find a bunch of smaller types. I see an "AT300" type that is larger, but no T-Slot.

If I go to the manufacturer websites, I can buy them in pieces, but the cost goes WAY up if you do it that way.

Do you know where I can just get an affordable compound to fit my machine?

Thanks!!!!!

No ideas on actually getting a compound, but an alternative is to mill a solid piece in lieu of a compound. Claims are much improved rigidity. And you'd have something usable while keeping a lookout for an economical used one.

In case you’re not familiar with what rambler is referring to, here’s a link to a solid tool post designed an d built by one of our members here:

Yeah, thanks. I had thought I might add a t slot table directly to the slide for a tool post, actually.

That's a good idea. But, I do use the compound sometimes.

It is just hard to believe there's a literal sea of the tiny imported ones, but nothing larger?

I could adapt something from a SB or an Atlas, I guess. But I'd rather have the big, Asian arrangement that came with it.

Any websites you may have run across with used parts or that might stock such a thing complete would be very helpful.

In case you’re not familiar with what rambler is referring to, here’s a link to a solid tool post designed an d built by one of our members here:

What material did he use? Does anyone know?

Oh! It does. I'm sorry. I opened it into a slideshow and didn't see. Thank you.

Question: If I were to try to build a slide. What kind of material should I use?

I think the one on the other (mini) lathe is iron. But I don't know any more about it than that.

I agree on the solid non-cross slide for rigidity and to get up and running today.

Could look for a cross slide from an Atlas 10 or 12 on eBay. Maybe other brand there too. Then drill holes to match your slots if needed.

I just searched eBay for "Lathe Cross Slide" and there are many choices and prices. Be sure you get one with a swivel base.

Also you may not need a T slot on top. You can drill in a post on a flat top for your quick change tool post.

I take it you bought it used. Have you reached out to the guy you bought it from? Maybe he still has it.

Back