Can I silver solder repair this crack

I used it on a cast aluminum intake, but they have brazing rods for other materials.... very easy to use, great results. There are many options though.

RBCuZn-C
This low fuming bronze (bare and flux coated) is a general purpose, copper base alloy brazing rod. It is used extensively for gas brazing steel, copper alloys, cast iron, nickel alloys, and stainless steel. It's low fuming characteristic and good mechanical properties make this alloy a widely used general purpose product. Preheating is recommended for some applications and a bronze brazing flux must be used if the rod is not coated. This brazing rod has a low melting point making it easily machinable and excellent for sheet metal work. RBCuZn-C also possesses high tensile strength and good ductility. 1630° F melting point & 1595° F solidification.

ok, so which braze should I get.. I have some old flux coated.. But the flux is probably deteriorated by now..

Thanks guys for all the inputs, I really appreciate it!

I use either white flux coated or bare rod more often bare rod cuz it's cheaper and 20 mule team borax as a dipping flux.
heat the end of the rod up some and dip it in the borax it will stick to it and melt into the groove as you go, dip frequently
so it will work as a wetting agent to make the brass flow into the joint and itself.
Practice doing beads on some scrap sheet metal to get a feel for it then try a lap joint with scrap sheet
it won"t take long to git the hang of it............:grin:

I have used Harris Safety-Silv 45 rod and Hot Max 24000 flux on several cracked cast iron parts with excellent results. When the joint wets put a clamp on it to squeeze it closed and wrap it up so that it cools more slowly.

Back