Can I weld this shaft?

My experience with Atlas/Craftsman parts is that they are soft, low carbon steel. If you are going to weld it, I would recommend something like RG45. You can also make a new one, just use the same size rod and file the flats onto the shaft. They don't have to be perfect, they are there to ensure that the screw doesn't raise a bur and make it difficult to remove the pulleys. Making a new one may be less work than fixing the existing one.
The flats on the countershaft provide the detents for the disengaged and engaged positions. The respective flats should be matched one to another. Any mismatch can cause a less than perfect detent and increased wear.

The flats on the countershaft provide the detents for the disengaged and engaged positions. The respective flats should be matched one to another. Any mismatch can cause a less than perfect detent and increased wear.

Yea, if it's that shaft, those need to be pretty close. You could still do it with a file, but it would be more tedious. I thought he was talking about the countershaft and the flats were the ones to keep the set screw from damaging the shaft.

Yea, if it's that shaft, those need to be pretty close. You could still do it with a file, but it would be more tedious. I thought he was talking about the countershaft and the flats were the ones to keep the set screw from damaging the shaft.
He is talking about P/N M6-75, referred to on the parts list as the rocker shaft.

Back