Can someone read this motor wiring/hookup schematic?

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
I bought a Gorton 0-16A Mill recently. The motor is 2 speeds. It is wired for 440v 3 phase. I saw it working when I bought it. Of course, I have 220v 1 phase. I have been talking to an electric motor shop locally but I am losing confidence in them. I took this wiring schematic to them but they didn't seem interested in it. I know that I have to get a rotary or static phase converter or a VFD. What I want to know is can the motor be wired to 220v? A transformer is a lot of cash. I think it can, or at least could have been. Can someone read this and see if it makes any sense, please? The motor has 6 leads coming out of the motor - 1T1 - 1T6.

2020-05-20 16.02.47.jpg

2020-05-20 16.03.42.jpg

Motor plate.JPGs-l1600 (3).jpg2020-05-20 15.11.56.jpg

I do not think that motor could be run on 220V, not enough leads coming out; a competent motor shop may be able to bring more leads out to run on low volts. We had a really good motor shop here years ago, they were able to take a 3450 motor and change it to 1750/3450 for me years ago, no longer in business ---.

The schematic covers the whole cabinet. I agree, it doesn't look like the motor itself can be swapped to 220V. However, the control panel CAN be. See the NOTE in the lower center. So that's something at least. I think you need center taps on each phase winding to be able to switch voltage. I occasionally see transformers around here for about $200... I would think most areas would have them available. You might also be able to just swap the spindle motor and convert the controls with that note on the schematic.

I'm NOT a motor expert, so I could well be wrong. :)

There is a 230v tap on the control transformer but I think you would have to replace the motor to use 230v. On the second page you posted in the top left corner is the transformer where you can see the 230v tap. There is also a note at the bottom of the page.

Edit: Fixed a misquote

Last edited:
I would use a VFD to be able to use on 220VAC
VFD’s are not expensive
and you can change the motor speeds (vairabe thru the VFD)

unless i'm mistaken,
the motor appears to be able to be run in the wye configuration, or the motor is a synchronous motor

the clue for me is the single winding constant torque motor specifications plate
L1,L2,L3 are connected to low voltage(230vac) 3 phase, for low speed operation, wires L4,L5,L6 are individually isolated (capped)
L6,L5,L4 are connected to low voltage (230vac) 3 phase, and L1,L2, L3 are shorted together

Last edited:
Wow! I new I could count on help here! Let me digest it but the VFD sounds like a path. What do I need to know to go that route?

Wow! I new I could count on help here! Let me digest it but the VFD sounds like a path. What do I need to know to go that route?

The route to go is to enroll in a 2 year trade school and get your Electricians license. Then you can come back here and educate all of us how to do it also.

Others with experience may be able to chime in on this, however... Although a VFD outputs "3 phase power", all motors aren't created equal. Some are built for "inverter/VFD" capability, and others are not. I would imagine the old motor on the mill was never intended to run on variable frequency = will not be wise to run with a VFD. Can you get away with it? It might be possible, but not good for the motor.

On another thought - there may be a way spin the motor and monitor the outputs with an oscilloscope to find what happens when you re-wire the motor, without applying power to it.

The thing about 3 phase motors, though, is the power coming to it on each phase is 120deg out of phase. That causes the magnetic field in the motor (the force that spins it) to "roll" evenly through each phase. It isn't just the "line voltage" that matters (220v or 480v) - there is a phase difference. That is why rotary phase converters (or inverter style - microprocessor controlled transistors creating the phase shifts) are required - they give you the required phase shifting between the poles of the motor windings.

Thanks! I'm starting to feel like just trying to find a different motor to replace the current one. It seems the most economical route at this point. I thought I understood the complexity and costs involved in getting this mill up and running. It is clear that I didnt...

Reactions: Z2V
Thanks! I'm starting to feel like just trying to find a different motor to replace the current one. It seems the most economical route at this point.
I agree, a 230v 3ph motor will be the easiest and quickest way to get the machine going. In my opinion you would be better off getting a phase converter, either rotary or static, than trying to use a VFD.

Back