[4]

Can someone surface grind something for me? 4140 PH

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I am going to make a base for my QCTP and take out the compound until needed. Looking for more rigidity.

I have a piece of 4140 PH that is about 2X2X6. I just need it surface ground on 2 opposing sides so it sits straight on the lathe cross. It can end up less that 2 inches as I will adjust the tool heights as needed.

Can anyone do this for me and what price? Please PM me through this site. Anyone in West Michigan so I can drop it off. Mail is good too.

f350ca

Registered
You may not want it ground. I made one from a chunk of cast iron and ground the top. Looks pretty but the hardened tool post likes to turn on it. A little roughness may help.

Greg

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Do you have a mill? You are just fine if you lap the top for measurement purposes. I agree with f350 about the bottom. Looks like a great project! -- What lathe are you mounting this on?

Cadillac STS

Active User
I thought the ground surface would be better for holding the tool post and keep it from moving

It is a Wabeco D6000e German made precision lathe.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
More friction milled than ground . I should say a better grip .

ddickey

Might not be a bad idea to relieve the bottom..??

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I've never tried relieving the bottom. For minimum chatter you'd think that having as much metal-to-metal contact as possible is the way to eliminate minute movements due to flex in available gaps.

My 4-way and both my QCTP have never slipped. Both of them are 'smooth', by which I mean they are coarse ground so grinding marks are seen. I'd be just as happy with a face milled bottom.

ddickey

Looks like you have a pair of T-slots to mount your block to.

Cadillac STS

Active User
Looks like you have a pair of T-slots to mount your block to.
Yes two T slots. I am going to just try two holes to T nuts. Might mill two mating tracks on the bottom of the base but I don’t think that will be needed. The compound does not have mating tracks.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Consider milling 2 long T nuts and using 4 cap head screws to hold it down. Ground or not, it won't move at all. No need for mating keyways, and a lot of work (and precision) that will probably be unnecessary.

(Unless you'd like the challenge - then I bow to you!) ;)

jbolt

Active User
When I made the solid tool post riser on my PM-1440gt I turned the top and bottom using the 4-jaw chuck. With careful measuring and adjusting I was able to get the top/bottom within .0002" this way.

I agree with Dabbler on using a single long T-nut on both sides with 2 screws each. If you feel the need to key it, I would slot the bottom of the riser block and then make the T-nuts taller to also act as a key.

How wide is the QCTP? 2" seems kind of narrow for a riser block.

Cadillac STS

Active User
When I made the solid tool post riser on my PM-1440gt I turned the top and bottom using the 4-jaw chuck. With careful measuring and adjusting I was able to get the top/bottom within .0002" this way.

I agree with Dabbler on using a single long T-nut on both sides with 2 screws each. If you feel the need to key it, I would slot the bottom of the riser block and then make the T-nuts taller to also act as a key.

How wide is the QCTP? 2" seems kind of narrow for a riser block.
It is an AXA post. It does hang over a bit in the one direction but I think it will be ok.

It is a DTM tool post. DTM was made up of Aloris guys that went and made their own post from what I read. It is excellent, precise and solid.

I decided to try it as it is, it has one side that is very flat better than I could get it with my mill. Then if it doesn't work that way I'll have it ground. Someone over private message agreed to grind it if needed.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Where does oe buy a DTM tool post? A web search didn't turn up anything relevant...

ddickey

They're not made anymore. For years now.

[6]
[5] [7]