Can the HF 4x6" band saw cut multiple pieces of 4x4" steel tubing?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
We have this minor issue of people crashing into our yard and taking out the fence. I'm really tired of digging out the old fence posts and got the idea of setting the 4x4 posts into a steel sleeve in the concrete. Idiot smacks post, I will just need to fish the old post out and slip a new one in.

I'll need to make about 12 of these sleeves, so probably 9 cuts if my math is right (3- 8 footers, 3 cuts each = 12 pieces 2 feet long).

Seems like a good excuse to pick up one of the Harbor Freight 4x6" saws everybody seems to like.

I know in theory the saw should do it, but wondering about reality.

I also have these two on Craiglist about an hour away, not much info but the price is favorable compared to the HF

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/d/heavy-duty-bandsaw-industrial/6502197472.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/d/rang-fu-bandsaw-auto/6502198609.html

Last edited:
Saw will cut one at a time, may take some tweaking to cut straight, my rong fu has cut miles of steel.
Ied use 3/8” Wall 4x4 , they hit that and it will leave a mark.

Yes... the saw can handle that easily enough. I have an MSC branded 4x6... its the same saw, just labeled differently. I have cut 5 x 5 1/5 H-beam with it.

They actually are good saws...

-Bear

Thanks, I know these saws seem to be well regarded even by those who are generally dismissive of HF. I just wanted to make sure that would be a realistic job for it.

The local metal supplier charges $8 a cut so with 9 cuts almost 1/3 of the saw is already paid for.

One caveat. The blade that comes with the saw is not very good. I would suggest replacing it with a mid range bi-metallic before any serious cutting.

Are better quality blades available from HF or do I have to order one?

they actually do have a bi-metallic that will work.

I would check out the saw in your first link first. If it runs good it is a bigger better saw.

i don't think the harbor freight air or electric tools are judged by the number of cuts. it's a time factor. couple of weeks usually

Far be it from me to discourage a tool purchase, but do you have a cutting torch?

Back