Can this motor be mounted vertically and used on a drill press?

Rata222

Registered
Registered
Hi all.
I am trying to help a friend that needs a 1.5 HP motor for a Jet Drill Press - where he works. I dont know much about motors I have this spare motor sitting in the garage - that I would let him have . There is no cooling fan and shroud- like on my drill press motor. Could it be run in a vertical position? I would think a vertical motor would need thrust bearings. Would this type motor hold up to run production all day?
Thanks for any help. Jim.

Attachments

• 20200110_160132.jpg
    20200110_160132.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20200110_160149.jpg
    20200110_160149.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200110_160157.jpg
    20200110_160157.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200110_160207.jpg
    20200110_160207.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Most motors can be mounted in any position. If its old/used you might want to change out the bearings before putting to use.

I would say it would work fine. Pretty sure it has ball bearings, it's 1.15 SF and Cont duty.

Sweet motor. Your friend has a good Buddy who will part with a 1.5HP motor.
Hope he realizes that.
All I usually end up with are frozen up, in need of repair items. :grin:

Yep it says ball bearings in fine print at the bottom, should work fine
You would be smart to run it on 240 volts since on 120 it pulls more current than most outlets can provide

10 amps at 120V 20 amps at 230V
Dave

Wow - thank you all for the replies. Thats good news. Sounds like it will be fine.

Your friend has a good Buddy who will part with a 1.5HP motor.
Hope he realizes that.
Yeah - he lives next door. We both keep to ourselves - but when one needs help- we help each other and share a lot of tools when either of us acquires duplicates. It works well.

You would be smart to run it on 240 volts since on 120 it pulls more current than most outlets can provide
Thanks for the heads up. His old one ran at his workplace on 110 V. I will check to make sure the amp draw was about the same.

Interesting...
The old motor was run to death. My friend asked me to look at it since I tinker on a lot of old machines. They employee said it would just hum. I brought it home - thinking it may need a new capacitor. (Again, I am not a real knowledgeable on motors.) When I spun the motor by hand it was easy to tell the bearings were bad. When I opened the case the balls were actually rolling around in the motor housing. It would have had to make a heck of a racket - before they let my friend know there was a problem. Hard to believe they just kept running it.
There was a lot of black powder in the housing. I cleaned it up and I believe the rotor may have contacted the metal plates of the windings (Dont know what its called). But no real visible damage. I purchased and installed new bearings. After putting the motor together, on startup it would blow the grounf fault. If I disconnected the earth ground wire from the motor housing it would run fine. I measured the voltage from the housing to the ground wire - it showed 115 volts. If I touched the ground wire to the housing it would spark and blow the Ground Fault Detector. That was the limit of my electrical troubleshooting and bravery. LOL Electrical problems scare me.

Just curious -Why do some motors have a fan on the back end like my mill ? Are they for more severe duty?
Thank you again, Jim

Last edited:
Back