Can We Talk About Gibs?

Put the bearing in one of the center holes. It is just a way to lock the gib.

Sorry, I gotta run through this to properly understand...
So, one of the middle two holes, put a bearing into the hole, then the set screw. Then the other 3 holes, the brass plugs with angled tips then the set screws?
I am understanding the need to get that gib angled better, but it's just the order of operations that is iluding me.

Oh my god.....

Okay guys, here's my moment of shame....
the gib was backwards. The set screw pockets were on the other side. For Christ sakes...

Either way. It's still kind of stiff even with the gib backed way off. My dials are aluminum and they bind slightly and are stiff too, I may need to look into a bearing seated dial fiasco.
Might be worth doing a bit of an overhaul on the compound.

Sorry, I gotta run through this to properly understand...
So, one of the middle two holes, put a bearing into the hole, then the set screw. Then the other 3 holes, the brass plugs with angled tips then the set screws?
I am understanding the need to get that gib angled better, but it's just the order of operations that is iluding me.
Yes, you have it

Oh my god.....

Okay guys, here's my moment of shame....
the gib was backwards. The set screw pockets were on the other side. For Christ sakes...

Either way. It's still kind of stiff even with the gib backed way off. My dials are aluminum and they bind slightly and are stiff too, I may need to look into a bearing seated dial fiasco.
Might be worth doing a bit of an overhaul on the compound.

You aren't thefirst guy to do that so don't be too hard on yourself.

It might be worth while to take apart your compound slide and do a good cleaning and visual inspection of the slides. May need to do a little deburring/ smoothing out slide surfaces with a oilstone. Fix any galling of shafts, bearings, etc. This little bit TLC and some fresh oil on everything could work wonders!

It might be worth while to take apart your compound slide and do a good cleaning and visual inspection of the slides. May need to do a little deburring/ smoothing out slide surfaces with a oilstone. Fix any galling of shafts, bearings, etc. This little bit TLC and some fresh oil on everything could work wonders!
I agree. I did that when I brought the lathe home no more than a few months ago. But I will do it again. I want to look into setting bearings into the shaft in the dials to be able to tighten the nut but remain smooth. Stefan gotteswinter has a couple good videos of that on his YouTube channel

Shawn, I just re-read this thread and noted that your gib has pockets on the back side? Can you show a pic? If there are actual pockets then a angled insert will not work if you plan to use that stock gib. The inserts have to match the gib's features. If you make a new gib then an angled face will work well. If it has a coned hole then make the inserts with a matching cone.

The pockets are angled.
I don't have the ability to make a new gib. No milling machines. So ya, likely reusing this one. If I can get the time, I'm going to do a tear down again. See if I can make it better.

Well, I tore it all apart. No room in the collar to put bearings and I'm not interested in making new ones cause I'd have to make a new longer shaft. However, I cleaned everything out, honed some surfaces, (the ways still have scraping marks, so that's nice), made some minor modifications to allow the collar and graduated ring fit a bit better and I think I'm somewhat satisfied with the result. Minimal movement, much more rigity, and relatively smooth operation. Yay..

Back