Can We Talk About Gibs?

Well, I tore it all apart. No room in the collar to put bearings and I'm not interested in making new ones cause I'd have to make a new longer shaft. However, I cleaned everything out, honed some surfaces, (the ways still have scraping marks, so that's nice), made some minor modifications to allow the collar and graduated ring fit a bit better and I think I'm somewhat satisfied with the result. Minimal movement, much more rigity, and relatively smooth operation. Yay..

Glad you got it sorted. Is there room between the surfaces of the collar to fit a really thin Delrin washer? They can make a huge difference in smoothness.

It's possible. I could cut a relief to fit a small washer, that would probably solve some minor binding issues I get. But I noticed while cleaning and honing the collar, it's hardened. Or, very hard tool steel. Did not file well, had to rub it along my hone to clean and smooth the facing surfaces.

It's possible. I could cut a relief to fit a small washer, that would probably solve some minor binding issues I get. But I noticed while cleaning and honing the collar, it's hardened. Or, very hard tool steel. Did not file well, had to rub it along my hone to clean and smooth the facing surfaces.

The washer simply needs to go between any two sliding surfaces. I would think a 0.015" thick washer would do the trick.

Back