Can we talk blood pressure?

How much were you drinking?
The reason I ask, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I don’t have it any more.
Breathing excersizes and I walk everyday.
I just checked my blood pressure. 143 78.
I took my first water pill today. Not a big deal, low dose.
Im gonna lose ten lbs. and I will be in tip top shape.

I was consuming 1-2 beers some weekday evenings, 3-5 on some weekend days. Not a lot in one sitting but too much over the long haul.

I started meditating daily as well and breathing I think helped too. Lastly, I started to take a supplement for sleep L-Theanine. I was very skeptical but notice a difference in calm and quality of sleep.

I digress. My sleep apnea is pretty severe and I’m not obese...5’-11”, 205# - but that is a matter of opinion. But my study resulted in more than 25 apneas per hour on average. One hour had over 100 apneas. With the mask that has been reduced to 2 per hour.

I’m hoping if I shed the excess weight and can start exercising regularly - someday the apnea will go away away too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L-Theanine
Interesting, I'll have to check that one out.
The apnea numbers are scary. You never really sleep.

My 88 year old mother went to a new doctor yesterday. When discussing her blood pressure, the doc said it depends on where in the world you are located.
According to him, the British theory of high BP is over 170. I thought that was interesting. He mentioned another country that considered normal around the 140 range.
My BP last night after work was 141-79. That's better.
I started taking a mild diuretic yesterday. I had to go a little more than usual but I wasn't running to the bathroom as I have heard others describe the process.

Interesting, I'll have to check that one out.
The apnea numbers are scary. You never really sleep.

My 88 year old mother went to a new doctor yesterday. When discussing her blood pressure, the doc said it depends on where in the world you are located.
According to him, the British theory of high BP is over 170. I thought that was interesting. He mentioned another country that considered normal around the 140 range.
My BP last night after work was 141-79. That's better.
I started taking a mild diuretic yesterday. I had to go a little more than usual but I wasn't running to the bathroom as I have heard others describe the process.

That is the sad part of this. I believe that a lot of the medical standards that they work to (What is Normal) is based on the pharmasutical companies desire to sell drugs and the kick backs that they give out.

Unfortunately Papa Charlie old boy, you are right.
Between insurance and the drug companies, I don't think we are getting the best care for the best price.

That is the sad part of this. I believe that a lot of the medical standards that they work to (What is Normal) is based on the pharmasutical companies desire to sell drugs and the kick backs that they give out.

While I respect your opinion, the reality is that blood pressure standards are based on data and have nothing at all to do with the pharmaceutical industry kicking back, especially to doctors in the field. And while I'm at it, if you are overweight, don't exercise or get adequate amounts of sleep, eat excessive amounts of salt, consume excessive amounts of alcohol and have the family genetics that favors HTN or heart disease then the ability of your doctors to influence events is limited. A physician can only do so much and a lot of it is up to the patient.

Another point is that your doctor has only so much in his arsenal and he will choose the best medication regimen he can based on the patient's individual needs or condition; there are no perfect drugs or drug regimens. Given that even with perfectly controlled blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and even with a negative family history of heart disease, a patient can still have a heart attack. So, it would be wise to consider that it may not be your doctor; it may be genetics and the confluence of other existing conditions that contribute to adverse events occurring that are beyond your doctor's ability to control.

Quite frankly, the fact that life expectancy in this country is over 75 years of age is a testament to modern medicine and the people who provide our health care. If you must lay blame at someone's feet, I suggest to you that much of that lies at our own feet.

Mikey,
You bring up some good points.
When you look around it seems so many people are on self destruct.

Good points Mikey. We are our first line of defense and our home physician. I do suffer from excessive weight. I have tried many things to loose weight. Even went on a special diet for a year and lost 100lb. But when I went back to regular foods, I gained it back. I don't eat much, walk often, only use small amounts of Sea Salt and don't eat breads of any kind. It is just what I have to deal with. Not everyone can remain thin. I know some people that can eat anything and be never gain an ounce. On the other side of the proverbial coin, I can look at donuts and gain 2 lb.

I wanted to add to the discussion of your feet/legs swelling. As I said earlier I have the same issue. I wear pressure socks to combat that. They help with the blood flow. In fact they help so much that I wear them every single day. Make a world of difference if you are on your feet a lot.

Back