Can you identify this fastener?

MidwestJSG

Registered
Registered
So my Lincoln 210 MP welder died. I believe it's a problem with the circuit board. Unfortunately, a replacement board is ~$700 so I decided to try a component level repair instead of a board swap. To get the board out of the machine I have to undo the fastener shown in the picture and I don't seem to be able to find anything of mine that fits this fastener.

It's in a very awkward area to get a tool in so I figured I'd ask before running the very real risk of rounding this out trying to use the wrong tool.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fastener2.png
    Fastener2.png
    698 KB · Views: 211
It's hard to see in the photo; does it have six lobes, or 5?
Have you tried inch hex, metric hex, and Torx?

Sometimes things are easier to see if you poke some clay into the hole and look at
the plug that comes out.

Sometimes things are easier to see if you poke some clay into the hole and look at
the plug that comes out.

That statement just made me remember a "workaround" for unknown fasteners, or fasteners that you do NOT have a bit for......

You heat up a piece of plastic (the example was a Bic pen clear plastic housing) with a lighter, get some of the end good and soft and then plunge it into the head. The idea is that once it cools and re-hardens the plastic becomes the impromptu driver bit. It should work even for the "tamper proof" bits that have a small pin, like a wire, protruding from the centre of the recess in the head.

Of course it won't work for anything too tight or with locking compound, but might be useful in a pinch.

Personally, I have used a punch and hammer to break off the security pin from the centre of the fastener head....even though security bit sets are abundant and inexpensive, why bother with specialty bits? If I own it I OWN it! (regardless of the stickers or EULA).

-brino

Last edited:
Looks to me like it has six sides, try some allen wrenches.

Looks like a 'triple square' fitting......plentiful on European products.

If you count the points, it has, to my eye, six sides, try the hex keys.

Best I can tell from your picture, It looks like a security torx. Does it have a pin sticking up in the center?

Back