Can you identify this fastener?

Sniffing all that hand sanitizer can do that to us.

But we are all committed and won't sleep until we find out what works on that screw.

It's 6 sided but does not look exactly like a torx or a hex. Nevertheless I think the right torx will drive it. Otherwise slot it with a Dremel and use a standard screw driver!
Robert

A few years back, working with the early cable TV boxes that had many different kinds of fasteners, I found the simplest solution was cutting with a Dremel cutoff wheel and using a straight screwdriver. Scientific Atlanta had at least a dozen specialty tips, some as simple as a slightly tapered, slightly out of round, fixed cylinder for a head. Without that specific driver, it simply wasn't coming out. Bootlegging Stealing Repairing SA boxes was a hit or miss situation on a good day. We won't discuss a bad day.

The pictured fastener fits the generic description of early non-tamper fasteners. Getting it out, it will likely be found to be a normal machine screw size. Either Imperial or Metric, otherwise a known size. Most of the many in my history were basically sheet metal screws with funny heads. This looks like a machine screw with a funny head.

Get it out, measure the threads and replace it with something familiar. Vise Grips might work, slotting it will be the quickest.

Well, I recently had a fastener that I thought was a torx head. Nope. Hex head then maybe. Nope.

It turns out that it was a "double square" head. I did discover that a number 2 square drive would remove it easily. I went onto McMaster Carr and sure enough, they sell Double Square driver bits.

Speaking of hand sanitizer.. I made my own with 91% alcohol. The first time my daughter used it in the truck she had to get out.... "Good God man, are you trying to kill me?" was her response. LOL

Back